This Disappears When Logged In

Rotten Food?, should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by phildevy, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phildevy

phildevy Member

So i just went to feed my corn snake (rowdy), he took the fuzzie perfectly as he always does, but then as he constricted, the fuzzie popped open, and out comes blood, guts, pus and God knows what else was in there, it smelled foul. I didn't fancy him eating it but he wasn't too keen on giving back his meal, so I got a bottle of water and trickled it across the back of his head till he let go, and quickly whipped out what was left of this mouse.

So now I've got a viv full of moldy mouse guts, a very angry, hungry corn snake :mad:, and half a manky mouse in the bin.

Should I be worried about my Rowdy getting ill from all the mank he's just been rolling in?? I did wash it off him best I could.
    And has anyone had this problem before??
    Also is there a better way to get him to release than waterboarding him??

Thanks in advance for your replies :)

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Was this a frozen thawed pinky or a live one?

3. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

I've had this happen before with my corn on a frozen thawed mouse. Usually this happens when the frozen mouse is either thawed too quickly or thawed then refrozen causing the mouse to explode when attacked by the snake. Or sometimes the snake will just make the mouse burst with it's own strength in an overly aggressive feeding response. This is what I believed with my snake. It did not explode instantly but instead you could watch her coil start squeeze tighter and tighter while the mouse's stomach began to look like a swollen balloon until the stomach split open and everything came out. I have pictures but I'm almost 100% sure not too many people would want to see them...hahahaha.

4. Will11303

Will11303 Active Member

I want to see them!!!!:p

5. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

I vote No! LOL

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

In future, you can do a few things:

Get a plastic storage bin (less than $10) and use it to feed him, and thus avoid soiling your viv.

Give the mouse a smell yourself (they smell rancid sometimes, and it's pretty noticeable if you take a whiff) and avoid feeding rotten food.

7. phildevy

phildevy Member

Thanks for all the replies, to answer questions, it was a frozen mouse, I left it out for a few hours to thaw it out, then warm water just before I fed him, there was no smell before it popped, only after, and I really wish the viv wasn't at the foot of my bed right now lol. I might take the advice to feed him elsewhere, still got his old small viv, that should be suitable, and I'll start sniffing his food before I feed it to him (oh the joys of herp keeping lol ). And maybe you should keep those pictures to yourself, if it's anything like what happened yesterday I'd rather not see it again lol

Thanks again for all your help, he seems no worse for wear today, just hungry! lol

8. SpecterGT260

SpecterGT260 Elite Member

Back before I went to fk food (I know not for everyone, but I switched for the reason in the OP lol. got sick of mouse guts, and FK's pop much less often) I would thaw them by filling a glass with hot tap water (i microwaved the water (only water, don't nuke the mouse) for about a minute, then put the mouse in a plastic ziplock bag and submerged it using a fork or something to weigh it down. It took about 10 min for the water to cool down, but the mouse temp should = water temp so when it's just barely warm to the touch I would feed it.

A couple hours on a shelf may result in rotting, but that seems fast. FT mice just pop some times. The freezing weakens the skin and the stomach skin is weak to begin with. They are also just stinky critters to begin with. If it was rotten, try a faster thaw, but otherwise I dont think you should worry.

9. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I doubt it was rotten: dead animal guts stink, period. Next time don't bother taking the mouse away -- it'll just stress out the snake and you could get a nasty bite. The snake will manage fine. My snakes have eaten burst rats several times. The longer the mouse thaws in hot water, the softer the skin gets. Also younger (fuzzie/pinkie) mice seem to burst more easily than adults. Sometimes the snake just squeezes them hard enough to burst.
    I do recommend feeding in a plastic sweater box or something similar. You can put down paper towel inside it and put a heating pad under it. Afterwards just rinse it out with hot soapy water -- or bleach and water if you get another burst mouse.

10. Catherine

Catherine Member

There is a better way. I learned this from zoo keepers so I trust it. I keep a syringe of vinegar handy. I place a drop of vinegar on the thing I want the snake to let go of and works instantly. The vinegar won't hurt the snake and you only need a drop. You can do this one handed, which is good if the snake has a grip on your other hand.

I had trouble with mice spoiling in the summer. I think they thawed and were refrozen. My snake rejected them and they did smell bad. I switched to fresh killed mice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.