This Disappears When Logged In

Rosy Problem

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by orchiddragon, Mar 8, 2012.

1. orchiddragon

orchiddragon New Member

Ok so I have this baby snake no longer than 12 in long and he has had a hard life so far. He came from a Petsmart where they had problems with him from the start. He refused to eat for a few months so they took him to a vet who could not figure out what was wrong and who force fed him this happened a few times then they learned how to force feed and did so for a few months later (it all started in Oct 2011) they gave up on him cause he was not doing well.

I decided to take him when they decided to give him up cause my Grandpa had one when I was little and hoped to take him to a quieter more peaceful place. He is in a 10 gal tank with aspen bedding with warm side 80 or higher. my problem and biggest worry is how listless he is. I have been dripping some pedialight in his mouth because he doesn't seem to be drinking (very dehydrated can pinch his skin and it is not doing back fast). Also worrisome is that I put him upsidedown and he is very slow righting himself. I have had him for over a week and although he has starting venturing around his cage (not far) he also doesn't hide much. I tried to feed him tonight with a pre-killed pinky with no success.

I guess I want to know if he is a loss cause or if there are some suggestions to get him out of this, whatever it is...

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

It may be best to bring him to a vet, they may be able to give him fluids subcutaneously!
    We do have some members who own Rosy's that may be able to help you out more than I, in the meantime here is a caresheet on them.
    Rosy Boa Caresheet (Lichanura trivirgata)

Best of luck, sending healing thoughts your way. Keep us posted

3. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

I also would suggest a vet. Force feeding is very hard and stressful on a snake and if he already had problems before then, they could have just made it worse. Since he's been through so much, trying to feed him now is probably stressing him out more since he just moved to a new place. Generally, they need at least a week or two to adjust to their new surroundings. 80 or higher on the warm side is hard to judge so you really have to know exactly what the temps are. A 10 gallon is very hard to get a proper temp gradient in, a 20 or 20 long would be better. This type of boa also does not do well in high humidity so if you have a dish in there, make sure it's shallow enough where he can't tip it over since that will increase the humidity in his enclosure. If you can get a bigger enclosure, do it now and save him the stress of getting used to his new home in the 10 then having to stress him out again later on moving him to a bigger one. They do love to burrow but since he's so listless you may just want to use newspaper with a very thin layer of substrate (not pine or cedar) so that you can monitor any poop easier. If there is a quiet area of low traffic, put his enclosure there to help minimize alot of sound or people walking around it.

They are also dusk/evening feeders so once he comes around to being able to eat, feeding him around that time might help.

Good luck!

4. dac343

dac343 Active Member

Just curious does he have any discharge/bubbles around the nose or mouth. If you hold him up to your ear do you hear any clicking sounds?

5. orchiddragon

orchiddragon New Member

no discharge or clicking he looks completely normal bright eyes his skin is a little wrinkly but I think thats due to not eating.
    So how high is too high humidity? right now it stays at 40% or lower is that still too high? Petsmart took him to a vet who saw nothing wrong and actually recommended force feeding. the vet also dewormed him as far as I know the vet could find nothing else wrong so I think taking him to another one would not be worth it.
    He does seem to be doing better after a few weeks but no interest in food still and still not moving fast. I have minimized handling and he is in the quietest room in the house with the door closed. I do notice he moves to a new hiding place every night or so. I also think he might be drinking a little.

6. dac343

dac343 Active Member

Are you just feeding f/t or have you tried live? Might be worth checking out the credentials of the vet find out if he really has experience with reptiles (not trying to bad mouth anybody but it should be something you want to verify) and if other herp keepers in your area recommend them.

Might be worth trying to bump your tank size up to a 20L, and then bump the temp of the hot side up a bit (not much just a few degrees). If you haven't tried live I would suggest that as well, being that his energy level is down a pinky might be worth trying.

*Edit just noticed that you said you try pre-killed, next time try live

7. DarkMagician207

I would check with a good vet. Wrinkly skin is usually a sign of dehydration. Most pet stores are only interested in making a sale and don't always have the most experienced vets for herps. After working in a pet store for six years I can definitely say they don't all care. You may need a good herp vet anyway if this little guy continues to have issues. You may want to have him tested for parasites even if he was wormed. 40% is okay. If you are going to try live, only do pinkies or small fuzzies. Once the eyes open, they are on their way to being able to fight back and can hurt your snake. But the most important thing right now is to find out why he is so listless. Rosy boas are not the most active but they shoiuld not be acting as you have described.

8. DarkMagician207

I would still recommend a second opinion with a new vet so you can both know you are on the same page. Force feeding is usually a last resort. If he does have some sort of parasite, he may just regurge after eating which will definitely stress him more. If they did not do a test a the store's vet and you have no record of it in his paperwork then it most likely was not done.

He may also be getting ready to shed, in which case he may not want to eat either.

9. orchiddragon

orchiddragon New Member

I will try to find a vet which is hard cause where I live its a long drive to anything useful. any suggestions on how I can find a decent one?
    is there anything I can do for the dehydration other than forcing water down his mouth?
    and what type of substrate should I use?

10. dac343

dac343 Active Member

state by state listing Reptile Vets

Honestly because you don't know what is wrong with your rosy I would recommend shredded newspaper or something similar just because its quick to change out and clean. Once he get a bit healthier you can change it out for something else. such as sani chips (what I use) or the shredded aspen available at most pet stores.

I know you have not seen any discharge but I would suggest getting a vet to check out and hopefully rule out an RI issue. I have a few anery kenya babies that I just picked up that have very similar symptoms to what you describe but do not have any discharge, although they do click when you listen to them. With him/her being that small you might not be able to hear the very subtle clicking sound. Needless to say its something worth checking out, like I said earlier you might want to bump up the temps just in case, it can help with RI but is not a solution.

11. DarkMagician207

You can also try the Vet Finder link at the top of the forum, it's in the little grey bar with Caresheets and things like that. Reptile Vet Finder Please do not try to force water into his mouth and down his throat, you risk killing him that way.

As stated, putting him on something like newspaper makes it easier to monitor him. You can put a few sheets down and then shred some up to give him some added security. Do you have hides in there as well? He should have one on the warm side and one on the cool side. For now since you're unsure of what is really wrong, you can use something as simple as tissue boxes or butter containers (washed of course) with holes cut in them. You can also put some fake foliage in there for some added cover and help dial down the stress factor. Later on, you can use things like the shredded aspen (I think you said that's what you use), Carefresh, or something similar. Just not pine or cedar. The best start though is to find a vet and get a proper diagnosis. Then you will better know what route to take and you can both work on a course of action. His wrinkly skin may or may not be dehydrated at this time. Given the rough start it sounds like he had, it possibly could be caused by an underlying issue, or parasites, but I'm not 100 percent sure. I have never had this issue with my Rosy nor have I *fingers crossed* ever had to deal with parasites. For now, do as you have been doing with the minimum handling thing. The less stress the better until you can get into the vet.

Good luck and keep us posted.