This Disappears When Logged In

rosy boa wont eat

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by bobbittle, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbittle

bobbittle Active Member

Furryscally convinced me to post here. =D

I've had my male rosy since the last weekend in september. Upon getting him he ate 4 fuzzies on a monday-friday rotation (fed monday and friday). He then refused food for 2 weeks, ate one fuzzy and is going on refusing for close to 3 weeks. He has not shed yet either.

Cage setup - 15g with screen top, cool side 68-72, warm side 88-90, humidity less than 40%. Substrate is aspen shavings. Water is available constantly.

I emailed the breeder today to see if he could offer any help, and thank you all in advance for any info you could provide.

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

hey there! yur not the only one having that problem. my rosy boa Chaos is also not eating. he was a total pig when i got him in august and into september but as it got colder in october he stopped eating. he hasn't eat now for about 4 weeks. he's big enough to take adult mice and thats what he was eating. but now i've tried smaller rat pups, fuzzies and even pinkies but he's not interested in any of it. he's only shed once for me since i got him. he's about 2 1/2 maybe 3 years old and is almost full size. they only get maybe 3 1/2 feet. temps are about the same as yurs maybe a degree or two difference. he's also in a 15 gallon with a screen lid. my guess is that they just don't eat as much or as often during winter months? i've heard about that happening. thats the only thing i can think of. sorry i can't offer much cuz i'm just as stumped! if the breeder gives any answers on the situation please post it. good luck with finding any other information. :) i've been able to find out alot about rosys but nothing about their winter habits. i'm hoping that he's just not as hungry during winter and when it warms up again he'll be a pig as usual. post pics when you get a chance. Chaos' pics have been the only ones inhabiting the Rosy section! lol. :D

3. bobbittle

bobbittle Active Member

I got an email back from the breeder and he thinks it may have just pigged out on the 2x weekly feeding and just not be hungry, he suggested that I try smaller sized prey (med-lrg pinkies) once a week until he's eating on a regular basis.

4. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

yea maybe that could be it. i had been trying for awhile different things for Chaos to eat but he refused it all for about 4 weeks straight. so i didn't feed him this week in hopes that this saturday he'll eat something. i guess we'll see what happens for both of us. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.