This Disappears When Logged In

Rosy Boa Shedding Problem

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by BeckyJ, May 23, 2011.

1. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

My girl has been in shed mode for almost 3 days now with no shedding happening. She hasn't even begun to peel around her nose yet. I'm getting worried.

She's 21 years old and has recently quit eating, except for one small mouse every 6-8 weeks, and she hardly every moves around anymore. She just lays under her heat lamp (she always moves away from the uth so I turned it off and got a lamp, which she seems to love) all day and night. And now she's in full shed mode (eye scales have been loose for days) but she's not shedding... does anyone have any advice for me? I've never had any problems at all with her in the almost 14 years I've had her..

I did take her to the vet and she expressed concern for some narrowing just below her vent, but said she seems perfectly healthy otherwise. The vet said that she's probably just reaching the end of her time... I'm not ready to hear that answer yet.... :*(

~BeckyJ

0.1.0 California Desert Rosy Boa (Lucy)
    1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lazlo)
    0.1.0 Cat (Echo)
    2.5.tons Guppies
    1.1.0 Children (Monkey, Grub)

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow, 21 year old Rosy boa! Congratulations!
    Sounds like you have gave her a wonderful life!
    Old age sucks for all animals/reptiles and even us!:(
    Sorry I can't help you out! There are a few member with Rosy boas who may be able to help you out!
    Best of luck!

3. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

I second that congrats, that's awesome! I hope mine sticks around for that long.

You can try soaking her in lukewarm water, just make sure it's not too deep. Use a plastic container like a critter keeper or something else that will hold water, you can even put an old washcloth or towel in there on the bottom with her to give her something to rub on. That might work. I've never had to use it, but I've read around the forum that mineral oil (I think it was mineral oil) is good to help with stuck sheds.

I am unsure of using the pillow case trick for a Rosy since they're not huge fans of high humidity.

Good luck. :)

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The snake would only be in it for one night so the pillowcase trick should not have any issues.
    It DOES rain in their environment.

5. DarkMagician207

True, also just wasn't sure because of her age too. I have no experience with "senior" snakes yet.

6. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

If you do use mineral oil, gently rub it all over her body with your fingers or a paper towel, carefully avoiding her eyes. You can try the pillow sack or bath method before hand and apply the oil after. Mineral oil can be found fairly inexpensive at any pharmacy/drug store.

And congrats! I'm making plans to get a rosy, and 21 sounds just great to me :D

7. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

Thanks for the replies. I am thrilled to have had Lucy for so long, and I will be sad when she passes. She has been a much loved pet, both by me and by my children.

As for her shedding problem, I am getting her in a warm bath tonight. It's been 4 days now & I don't want to let it go any longer. If the warm bath doesn't work I am going to try some Repti Shedding Aid by ZooMed. It was recommended to my by the manager of the local pet shop, and he knows his stuff. It's what he used to use on his Beardie.

8. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

What is the pillow case trick?

~Becky

9. mld

This is a from the article on shedding problems;

Snakes can be placed within a pillowcase with a damp towel. The towel should be wet enough that water can be wrung out from it but it shouldn't be so wet that it puddles when placed on a solid surface. Once the snake and towel have been placed in the pillowcase it should be tied closed and placed in the enclosure near the heat source. Several hours in this environment will loosen the shed skin and the towel will act as a mild abrasive for the snake to rub against as it moves around. In some cases it is easiest to keep the snake in the pillowcase overnight. In the morning you simply open the case and release the snake back into its enclosure. The retained shed should no longer be visible.

10. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't have any additional advice, basically I just wanted to say that it is very good to hear that you have already taken her to the vet to see if any other health issues could be at hand.. Hopefully, the advice given above will help your Rosy with her shedding issue. (and while I realize she has already lived a long life, I certainly want her to continue on as your pet/companion for many more years to come.)

11. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

Update:

I soaked her last night with no luck. This morning I sprayed her with the Shedding Aid and then tried the pillow sack trick. I left her in there most of the day and took her out just a short time ago. No sign of a shed, but her eyes are clear and her skin shiny. So.. I'm assuming she did shed and I just can't see it on the towel. She seems much happier and gave me a good squeeze and crawled down my shirt. :) I'm feeling much better! She hasn't given me a squeeze like that in a long, long time.

[​IMG]

12. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

I'm glad everything worked out for you :)

13. DarkMagician207

Sounds like it worked. My snakes like to leave me sheds rolled up all tiny in a ball so maybe it's stuck in the towel somewhere. Sounds like it made her feel alot better. :)

14. mld

She's beautiful, nothing better than a nice hug!