This Disappears When Logged In

Rosy Boa Questions

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by CountTripula, Jun 21, 2011.

1. CountTripula

CountTripula Elite Member

Okay a friend is thinking about getting a rosy boa.. I really can't find a care sheet on them all of them say something diffrent. Here are my questions.. (they should be reserching but have not net..) so me as a good friend is printing tons.

What tank size is best?
    Humidity?
    Temps?
    About how long do they get? ( they don't wany anything over 4 to 5 feet)

Thanks for taking the time to look and post.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Here is a care sheet on them!

There are a few member who own them, and I'm sure that they will be by to help you with any questions or their personal experience;
    Rosy Boa (Lichanura trivirgata) Caresheet

Males tend to be smaller!
    There is also the Kenyan Sand boa that are even smaller then the rosy boas!

3. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

I have one and I love him. :D The caresheet answers most of the questions you have but if you still have any feel free to ask.

Mine is over 7 years old and is only about 2 1/2 feet. 4 feet is usually considered large for a Rosy.

4. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

I've had my rosy for 13+ years. She is now 21 years old and doing good, after a little scare earlier this year. She is a complete sweetheart and has never struck at anyone, including the kids, in all that time. (Except one time when I picked her up too soon after feeding, and I had mouse scent on me... my own fault! Even then she just grabbed my shirt and wound herself all up in it.) She loves to hang out in my hair and in my shirt. LOL

Lucy is about 3 feet long. She has a strong feeding response. My only advice is to be sure to get a captive bred one if you plan to feed pre-killed mice. Mine is wild-caught and WILL NOT touch anything that is already dead... no matter how long it has been since she last ate. And she always goes through brumation.

Good luck to your friend. Rosies are wonderful snakes and I would own another in a heartbeat!

5. CountTripula

CountTripula Elite Member

thanks tons this would be their first snake. He thought our red tail was cute till he found out the size of her. so he found the rosy boa and feel in love with it. im trying to find out all the stuff before he gets it so he has all the smarts to take care of the little guy. 13+ yrs she must be beautiful! Thanks for all the help

6. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Ditto on the above...I've only had mine a few months, and I've already completely fallen in love with her. My Luna took to the frozen/thawed immediately, and other than a few times in which she wouldn't eat for me, (in which it turned out she was going through sheds) her feeding response has been great.

7. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

They can go off feed too for the winter. Mine goes off food every year from around July to March give or take a month or so. It was a surprise at first but once I found out from the guy who had him before me that he did it for him too, I expected it.

But mine also took to frozen/thawed very easily.

8. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

I really think the only reason my rosy refuses any pre-killed food is that she is a wild caught, and the guy who had her for her first 8 years always fed her live food. I have tried every trick in the book, but she will not take it if it's heart isn't beating. The vet said she has seen several snakes that refuse any but live food, and they are always wild caught. At 21years old I don't expect her to change any more, I just buy her little bitty mice and give her two every week or so.

Lucy also goes off of food for the winter, usually around September-October until March or April, depending on the weather.

9. Jaiden2010

Jaiden2010 New Member

Size depends on what area they are from Coastal Rosy Boas get much larger, I have some that are close to 4' but they are large well fed breeder females. desert Rosy Boas do not get as large and robust, they are my favorite in my opinion they have much nicer color/stripes and not the dirty patterns like most of the coastal's. Also males of either Coastal or Desert are much smaller than the females.
    I would also stress what has been already said. CB is the only way to go but often they can go off feed for a few months or sometimes be spotty feeders. I keep my desert rosys in 32 qt tubs in racks, my coastal females in 41 qt. The desert rosys would be fine in a 10 gallon size, coastals a 20 gallon long. I keep all my yearlings in 6qt shoebox tubs.