This Disappears When Logged In

Rosy Boa Occasionally Defecates Completely Digested, Gooey Pink Blob.

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by KarbonKopy, Sep 7, 2012.

1. KarbonKopy

KarbonKopy New Member

I have a Rosy boa that is around 1- 1.5 years old. He has always seemed healthy and has always been a good eater/pooper, but occasionally instead of a normal defecation I will find a disgusting blob of goo in the tank that seems to be an almost-completely-digested mouse. This is always almost a week after the feeding, when I would expect him to defecate normally. Sometimes a few days later it is followed by a normal defecation. Since it is so long after feeding, I don't think he is regurgitating (which happened a few times when i first got him, so I know the difference.) However I have never witnessed whatever is happening when he does this. I havent been too concerned because it doesnt happen often but I was just wondering if anyone else has had this experience or knows what is going on? His temps are good and he seems quite healthy and happy otherwise.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Sounds like vomit! Does it smell really bad?
    How are your temperatures, and how are you measuring them? Dial, digital with probe, or strip type?
    Do you feed him in a separate tub?
    How long do you leave him after he eats?(handleing him)

3. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

A lack of heat in basking area could make this happen. How hot is your basking site, and do you see him there often?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It sounds like vomit to me as well.
    This could be a few things. Insufficient heat, feeder too big, or something disturbing the snake.

5. KarbonKopy

KarbonKopy New Member

I dont think it's the temperature, I use a temperature gun and it's actually too hot on his hot side right now. It's about 100 degrees under his hot hide during the day and 78 degrees under his cool hide, on his hide where he basks its about 93. I've tried putting cloths between the substrate and the heat pad but I'm having trouble getting the temp down. Could being TOO hot cause problems like this? If needed I will buy a rheostat to regulate the heat from his head pad more. I dont feed him in a separate tub, I used to but he was prone to regurging when I first got him. I found if I fed him in his tank I wouldnt have to handle him after. I typically don't handle him at all until he defecates after feeding, just to be safe. Just now, I saw him slithering around and there was big glob of clear ooze, like someone had blown their nose in his tank! What is going on here? Once again, I missed seeing whether it was coming out of his mouth or his rear end. Other than this gross stuff happening, he is acting normal, slithering around and basking and such. The substances in question dont seem to have any smell really. Is it possible he's vomiting so long after he's eaten? (5-6 days!)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  6. mld

Vomit is something that has already entered the stomach and began the process of digestion. Regurge is when it hasn't entered the stomach yet.
    Too high of heat can also cause this.
    Is there any signs of Upper Respiratory infection?
    If you are having problems with the UTH getting too hot, you should really have a thermostat to plug the UTH into Repti Temp 500R is a good one that I use with my UTH's.
    http://www.herpcenter.com/herp-awareness/489-vomiting-vs-regurgitation-snakes.html

7. KarbonKopy

KarbonKopy New Member

I am going to go ahead and order a thermostat like that one then. I never handle him after he eats and he seems otherwise healthy so I'm going to go off the assumption it's because he's too hot. I'll update if anything else happens, thanks! :)

8. mld

If you are worried a vet is a good call, this will rule out parasites if you bring in a fecal for testing.
    Good luck and keep us posted.