This Disappears When Logged In

Rosy Boa Not Eating!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by Pareeeee, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Pareeeee

Pareeeee Member

everyone keeps saying that but I've said it has been over a week and nothing has happened, he hasn't even gone blue yet?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It may just be taking a bit longer. You said the skin is wrinkled?

Another thought. Do Rosy boas go off feed in the winter?

3. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

This is actually not true Merlin. Aries went for 3 months without shedding. Another person I know said that theyre Rosy can go months at a time without shedding. Its never the same time after eating that they shed so it varies. Ive fed Aries twice in the past month and he still hasnt shed.

If his skin is wrinkly spray him a couple times a day. We did this with our BP and she shed fine. It loosens the skin and makes it a lot easier for them to shed :)

4. Pareeeee

Pareeeee Member

One thing I do know for sure is that misting is a definite no-no with rosies. Keeping humidity low is crucial for them. They are prone to resperitory infections if you spray them. Most care sheets even say not to leave the water dish in all the time as it will up the humidity in the enclosure.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I think you misunderstood. I was referring to the length of time a shed cycle lasts once it starts, not how long it is between the sheds. That time frame will depend on how fast the snake is growing.

6. Pareeeee

Pareeeee Member

His scales look very different today. I think the shed will be soon.

7. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

I would suggest you don't try live food if he was taking frozen before. My old rosy won't touch anything that doesn't have a beating heart, and my son's rosy supposedly used to take f/t, but the person who had him before us switched him to live, and now he won't touch anything without a beating heart. Please do make sure your feeders are warmed slowly (to avoid cooking or rotting of the feeder) and warm all the way through or he won't eat it. If he absolutely refuses to eat f/t, please be sure to stun the feeder by giving it a good solid wack on the back of the neck to paralyze it so it can't injure your snake. My poor old (22 years!) girl was bitten a few years back and has a small scar from it. I'm thankful she wasn't hurt worse. I always paralyze her prey and feed it to her with tongs while it is still twitching.

Also, I don't know about younger rosies, or captive bred ones (we've only had my son's rosy for a few months), but my wild caught rosy goes off of her feed in the fall every year, and about 6 years ago (right after moving into a new house) refused to eat for 6 months! She made it through that time just fine, so I wouldn't worry too much if he refuses to eat for a bit longer.

Keeping his feeding tank dark might help. Also, Leo (our young rosy) likes to eat in a shoebox size container, anything larger and he doesn't eat as well. And don't wiggle it too close to his head. That can scare him off. Give him some space and let him come to it.

Hmm.. I will try to remember to check back on this later today, or tomorrow. If there is anything else I think of I will post. Good luck. Rosy Boas are great snakes and he will give you many many great years.

It can take my old (22) rosy several weeks to go through a full shed cycle. The younger one (10) hasn't gone through a shed yet, so I'm not sure how long it will take him. Plan on the actual shedding to take place about a week after the blue phase.

Oh, one more thing.. you might try a smaller feeder to get him going, or, if you can get hold of some, pinkies. Pinkies are the one thing guaranteed to always get my old girl out of her feeding funk. :)

8. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

oh.....oops ): sorry

9. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Sometimes I see my Rosy and sometimes I don't. Most times he is in one of his burrow tunnels he makes out of his bedding, he loves his tunnels or his hide. I've had him since 2004 and he was an adult then but every year from roughly July/August to February/March he goes off food and has done this since before he came to me. Really freaked me out the first year until I learned he was like that before and now I expect it. He's still in winter fast mode right now. If he is going to shed and does, he may be hungry after but if he isn't and all other things are okay, he simply may not be interested. You could always monitor his weight just to make sure he isn't losing too much.

Also, what time of day do you usually try to feed him? They're usually dusk feeders, when mine isn't in winter fast he will only eat at night, in a dark room and sometimes with a dark towel over the feeding bin.