This Disappears When Logged In

Rosy Boa Not Eating!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by Pareeeee, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Pareeeee

Pareeeee Member

Hello

This is my first post here and I hope you can help me. I bought Boaz (my 2-3yr old Rosy Boa) back in October. He has not eaten since October 22. I tried cooling him for a month (from November 15) and brought him out of brumation on the 12th of December (this month). I tried feeding him last night, but he didn't want it. So I put him in a feeding bucket with a lid and left him overnight. This morning I opened the tub and he had the paper (which I had laid on the bottom as 'bedding') wadded up in a ball and there was mouse blood all over it...the mouse looked wet and had some guts hanging out of its bum (ew), which made me think maybe he did try to eat but it was a regurge? I had put his tub over his heat mat inside the tank but I don't know how well the heat emanates through the plastic tub.

I haven't handled him for a month. Only handling was last night putting him in his tub, and this morning taking him out and rinsing the mouse blood off him.

The cold side of his tank hovers around 19 and warm side which has a heat mat is between 26 and 30deg C. I can't seem to get his cool side up above 19/20 as our apartment is cold this time of year.

Could it be too cool for him? Did I feed too soon after brumating (couldn't find ANY info on how soon to feed after brumation) Could it be that his tank is in a med-high traffic area? (btw, everywhere in this little apartment is a high-traffic area)

What do I do?!?!

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

3. Pareeeee

Pareeeee Member

Thanks, but I have already read tons of caresheets including this one, lol!

Anyway, Boaz still has not eaten. He is very active and his scales look like they have little wrinkles on them if you look very closely. Wondering if he may be going to shed soon? Is it easy to tell in Rosies?

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Not too sure about Rosies but as for high traffic, do you have room in a closet? I have a walk in closet, that has been the perfect solution for me. Just a thought.

5. Pareeeee

Pareeeee Member

LOL room in a closet. I wish. I don't have room for the stuff I have stuffed in my closet. Wish there was a solution for the traffic issue, although he never acts like he is stressed, and is very very calm and curious when held.

6. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

Weird... as far as I've heard, rosies usually aren't reluctant eaters!

7. Pareeeee

Pareeeee Member

I know! I have his feeding records and they were excellent up to the point I acquired him. They said he was like a garbage can, food their other snakes would refuse they would just throw into his tank and he would eat them too!

8. Komododragon12

It's probably stress then.How big is the tank and what are the temps?

9. Komododragon12

His warm side is good but his cold side is much too cool! at least 73 degrees F(22 celsius) is needed there. Try getting a heat pad connected to a thermostat.

10. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

Ok so I went through the same exact thing with my rosy when we first got him. He didnt eat for about 5 months I believe it was. He refused to eat a F/T rat. So if youre feeding him F/T please try a live one at least once because that was what did the trick for us. Also Aries still doesnt eat unless we make the rat squeak when putting it in his feed box. I had to get a heating pad for the side of our snakes tanks because our house is very cold this time of year too. So I did that and also moved them into a smaller room so the heat would rise in the room. The smaller the room the hotter thats what I had to do because all of my reps were in the living room. anyways I hope this helps :) sending "hungry" vibes your way :)

p.s. thanks mld for bringing this to my attention :) ill keep updated on this thread :)

11. Pareeeee

Pareeeee Member

What if I just got a stronger bulb for his cool side, I already have a light on his tank just for photo-period purposes, I could just get a slightly-higher wattage and place over the cool side - that would also warm the air temps, correct? Anyway, tonight he is scheduled to be fed again, I will let you know the results. I have been thinking about getting a live mouse if he doesn't eat soon. There are no pet stores nearby that sell live mice as pets/food...I guess I will have to go for a drive! Sometimes I hate living in the boonies.

ALSO...I thought I given more info but I re-read my original post and it seems I forgot to tell you some stuff.
    > His tank is a 20 gallon.
    > Also, he seems about 99% happier since I changed his substrate from un-burrowable(a word!?) sand to reclaimed cellulose fiber. (It's somewhere between wood and paper bedding...it's reclaimed wood pulp that had not been used to make paper yet) He LOVES this stuff. Now I see him a lot less though, he is always making tunnels through it and hiding underneath the stuff. This may lower his stress a lot too...the sand used to get stuck in his scales and around his eyes, I didn't like how he looked uncomfortable.

> It looks like he may shed soon. If you look up close at his scales he is getting 'wrinkle marks' on the skin, and his eyes look funny. He hasn't gone into blue though, he has looked like this for about a week or so but no blue...

> He is given a water dish about 3 days a week.

12. Komododragon12

The heat bulb should work! Just make sure it doesn't get too hot! The tank is good, and the fiber should be good too. I would recommend not to feed live though, because there is a danger to your snake. Try wiggling the F/T mouse in front of him with feeding tongs.

13. Pareeeee

Pareeeee Member

Well, tried feeding again tonight after waiting 8 days since the last attempted feeding. I put him in the feeding bucket, put the mouse in and closed the lid. I left him there fifteen minutes and all he was trying to do was get out. So I took the mouse, brained it and warmed it up again, then wiggled it around in front of him. He kept acting defensive, striking and missing, going into the S position and then false striking. Some strikes he would grab but then immediately spit out. Finally, he grabbed and coiled around it! I thought, YAY! He's gonna eat it. But nope, this is what he did...

[video=youtube;bn2MVt0qeNo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn2MVt0qeNo&feature=youtube_gdata[/video]

14. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I wonder if your Rosy has an injury to the mouth? Just a thought! Maybe a vet visit is in order. Poor little guy looked like he was going to eat it, have you tried a smaller size?

15. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

I live in the boonies too. i have to drive an hour and a half or two hours to get my rats. sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. I watched the video and Aries did the same thing as your baby. He would coil around it then he wouldnt touch it but once he knew it had a beating heart....he was all over it. so please try to get a live one :)

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You said that you thought the snake was going to shed. I was just reading an article on rosy boas which mentioned that when they had an impending shed they acted just like what you show in the video.

17. Pareeeee

Pareeeee Member

really. OK. I was gonna go buy a live mouse today but are you saying I shouldn't?

18. Merlin

I would wait till the shed is over. And then try another frozen. If it was taken F/t before, there should be no reason to alter that.

19. Pareeeee

Pareeeee Member

how long does it take for them to go blue? he just has those weird marks on his scales, and he's had that for over a week. Also, how long does it take them to shed?

20. Merlin

I don't keep rosies but in general a snake will go blue and then clear up and shortly after it will shed. The whole thing occurs in about a week or so.