This Disappears When Logged In

Rosy Boa, Hasn't Been Fed in a Month and a Half and Bites.

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by Chamchow, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Chamchow

Chamchow New Member

I just got this boa from a friend of mine who stopped feeding it once it started biting people. I've been around snakes before and my brother use to own a few however this is my first snake so any advice would be appreciated. My friend was feeding the snake in it's cage, and not handling it very often and I think those two things are why it started biting but any advice on the handling, maintenance, and general care of the snake would be much appreciated. Oh and names :] She's a beautiful Rosy boa about 2 feet long with brown and light green stripes.

2. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

What kind of bite is it? Bite and chew or just strikes? My Rosy boa is super docile, but her feeding response is so intense that I need to use a snake hook with her. I would suggest trying one, they work great.

3. Chamchow

Chamchow New Member

It's just a strike and then she coils around your hand. How do you use it? just a snake hook to bring her out of the cage and then she's fine and won't bite even when handling her?

4. BeckyJ

BeckyJ Elite Member

I have a plastic branch in the tank with my son's rosy that I use to "hook" him out with. Once I pick him up and lift him up out of his tank with it he is as docile as can be. If I stick my hand in there though I get struck. We don't feed him in his tank, but it makes no difference.. he just want's to eat all the time! LOL!!

Good luck. Rosies are wonderful snakes!!

5. FlagonFly

FlagonFly Member

I'm fairly new to snakes myself, but enjoy reading books and forums to learn more. One thing that appears common with rosys is they usually have big appetites and thus may strike or bite when hungry. So the advice of using a snake hook is what I'm doing also, just long enough to start picking her up and watch for striking behavior before using my hands.

When I very first got her, when holding she would sometimes try to "gnaw" on my arm... not a strike but more like testing to see if she could get a taste test. She had missed her last feeding at the pet store, and so after she had been home a few days and didnt seem overly stressed, I went ahead and tried a frozen/thawed pinkie mouse and she gobbled it right up no questions asked. Since then I have fed her every 3-5 days and she hasn't tried to gnaw anymore.

But I have noticed if I let her go a little long between feeding she gets antsy and there have been a few times when I was getting ready to feed her and and a thawed mouse ready to present, she would strike at just about anything. Sounds like you favor feeding outside the normal cage, which is what I do also. I dont want her eating any substrate or thinking when anything is reaching in her normal cage that it might be food. I have a separate big plastic tub with a spare hide, and I put her in it 30min or so before feeding, before I even get a mouse out of the freezer. She loves it in there, crawls all over the hide and keeps a watch on everything. I make sure not to touch the mouse with anything but tongs to minimize any human scent. Then I leave her in there a good while after feeding before handling her just enough to put back in her cage (using the hook again to pick her up).

If yours is not taking food but does seem to be hungry from the biting and such, there is all kinds of advice out there. One of the most common I have seen is to put the snake in a smallish container with the mouse overnight, leave it completely alone with minimal noise and lights, and often the mouse is gone by morning. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Why don't you give us a run down of how your Rosy Boa is kept, heating, temps, humidity, what are you using to measure the temps, substrate, size of enclosure, open from top or front, and photos of course!