This Disappears When Logged In

Rose Hair Help.

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by biollantefan54, Apr 12, 2012.

1. biollantefan54

biollantefan54 Elite Member

Okay first I wanted a emperor scorpion but I have decided that a tarantula is better for me. I have a few questions. I have seen it on multiple care sheets that it says high humidity and on another it says low! Which one and can they stay at room temp? And what is the best way to pick one up out of its tank without it getting ****ed? And how can you tell the difference between a male or female because I would rather have a female. Thanks please help!!

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

For the Chilean Rose Hair they are a terrestrial type so they burrow, they need less humidity than an arboreal type of Tarantula.

3. biollantefan54

So I just put a water bowl in and I have a new question, Could a plastic terrarium 1 foot long 4 inches wide and 6 inches tall work for one?

4. mld

That seems a little small! I use a 12" x 12" x 12" one for mine, be carefully with the water bowl, I use a sponge in mine and clean it daily and fresh water daily. You will need a hide and about 6" of substrate, I use plantation soil for mine and give it a light spray every other evening.

5. mele

mele Elite Member

This is very similar to how I house and keep my rose hair. I've had her for three years now with no problems. The females will be more round and plump in the abdomen while the males will be slightly thinner with a more elongated abdomen.

6. biollantefan54

Can I use tap water because I don't have access to fresh water. :/ And I thought you DO NOT EVER mist the enclosure?

7. mld

I don't mist the tarantula, but I only lightly mist the substrate, they do need some humidity just not a lot. Regular tap water is what I use.

8. biollantefan54

Oh I thought you meant fresh water like river water, :p. So moisten it or just barely spray ir and any tips and BTW how long have you had yours?

9. mld

Also for the picking up question, just place your hand inside and they will usually just climb on. Mine is very friendly and has never flicked her hair, but I also got her as a baby.

You should think about picking up a book on them.

10. biollantefan54

Okay but do any tips?

11. mld

You will want the substrate to have a bit of moisture for burrowing. If you use the brick type of plantation soil, just add water to hydrate it, you should be able to hold a ball of it and squeeze it without moisture coming out. In the eventing spray the walls and the corners with water. The sponge has to be soaken wet, the T will put its fang in the sponge and drink up the water. I'm not sure how old your T is but an adult can also have just a shallow dish of water that isn't too deep and will drink, but drowning may occure if too deep or the T is too young.

I've had mine since 09,

You will know when your T is content when it makes a web tunnel around the entrance to their burrow. They will also climb, but I will take mine down when she does this because a fall can kill them. Always handle them while you are sitting down.

Another thing to watch out for is molting, during this time make sure that you don't feed and they will also need a little bit more humidity during this time. They are very vulnerable at this time, they will lay on their backs to do this, so leave them alone during this time but keep an eye on them.

12. biollantefan54

"In the eventing spray the walls and the corners with water." I thought you don't ever spray the enclosure though. If so do you spray like you would with an anole or a chameleon?

13. mld

No, just a light spray! And don't spray your T, it won't be very happy about that.

14. biollantefan54

Okay any tips?

15. mld

What kind of tips are you looking for??

16. biollantefan54

idk anything a beginner should know, lol. And can they be kept at room temp?

17. mld

It depends on your room temperature! 75 degrees Fahrenheit is a good temperature!
    These Tarantulas will go through a fasting time, so don't worry if they don't eat for a while. They come from an area with conditions that are hard weather wise. This makes them very hardy, they prefer dryer conditions (drought) than most other tarantulas.
    Here is the best caresheet that I could find;

CARE AND HUSBANDRY OF THE CHILEAN ROSE TARANTULA

This is a good book to have, its one of the better ones out there;
    The Tarantula Keeper's Guide - Reptile Books

18. biollantefan54

Okay thanks!

Wait! What if you tarantula climbs up his cage? Will he fall and die?

I, uh cant seem to find the edit button so I will just say it here, I cant get that book because we cant by online but ill see if there's anything in the library.

The edit post is disappearing! I found this on a care sheet "I keep the humidity level in my tanks around 55-70%." I thought it was low humidity though?

19. mld

They can climb, a fall may kill them!

What care sheet said 55-70% humidity? The one I gave you?
    I would say lower more like 30% but if your Tarantula is continuously in its water dish then that would be a sign that your humidity is too low.

Can you ask your petstore to get that particular book in?

20. biollantefan54

HTML:

Okay so what do I do if it is climbing on the side of the tank? Is a foot to high and a fall could kill them?

The care sheet was one from Yahoo!. And the only pet store near me only allows animals to be shipped in not supplies so say I want a Chameleon I would have to get them to ship it in, :(