This Disappears When Logged In

Rocky Mountain Reptile Expo

Discussion in 'Shows and Expos' started by BarelyBreathing, Jan 31, 2012.

1. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

There are great deals on equipment! Scales N Tails usually gives 20% off at shows, and gives a coupon for another 20% off your next purchase. There are a lot of people selling used tanks and enclosures. I bought three 20 gallons last show, two heat matts, four hides, and a dome for under $30.

I have only missed one, and that was because of car trouble. Your wife will only risk getting bitten if she chooses to handle something. I've only seen a handful of bites at the show, and every single time it was because somebody (usually the vendor) was handling an aggressive animal that was known to be aggressive.

It's a great place to bring your family. Kids of all ages love it!

2. Shayne

Shayne Active Member

Great - thanks for the info! I'll definitely be there in May. My wife and I saw some videos where a guy was carrying his beardie around on his shoulder and people with snakes all over them. She's okay with everything, but wants to ensure a buffer zone between her personal space and a herp thinking she's food. All in jest of course.

Let me know how it goes this weekend.

Side question for you from when we were talking about roaches. How quickly do they overpopulate or is there an easy way to control population? I only have a juvenile CWD and a juvenile salamander and am worried a colony will be way too much for just them. Thoughts? And thanks for the help and info as always!

3. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Thank you for the advice. Luckily, I build my stuff and only need to get veggies. Yay for online feeders!

Cages are that cheap?!?! I have a 150 limit when I go up there.... Am I coming back with a new herp? lol

4. Shayne

Shayne Active Member

Where do you get your online stuff from? I asked about feeder sites before and didn't get much response - everyone just told me roaches were the way to go.

5. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

6. Shayne

Shayne Active Member

Both my dragon and salamander don't care for the repti-worms (well Phoenix worms is what we got - different brand, same worm). We were so excited to get them and after dropping forty bucks, ended up with most of them dead. My dragon, Whip, wouldn't touch mealworms for a week after feeding him the Phoenix worms - he would only eat crickets. Now he's good again. Chomp, my salamander, eats everything - dead or alive but after a couple, would stop eating. He didn't like them either. I don't know if it's the smell (definitely not an appetizing aroma - reminded me of a tofurkey at Thanksgiving - an obvious attempt, but still failure) or what, but they were also very slow moving worms and Whip especially likes frantic food. Does Mulberry do good with wintertime shipping? I looked at them, but didn't want to end up with a box full of dead crickets. PetCo and PetSmart have horrible crickets. Within a day 20% are dead, and so on. I laugh on here about breeding crickets because I have only seen a couple live longer than a couple weeks - I couldn't imagine having them live long enough to actually breed or even fully grow.

Thanks for the help!

7. BarelyBreathing

Scales N Tails in the Springs was GREAT... and then Chad left, and now it's gone to Hades. The only good one now is in Northglenn. Yes, you're coming home with a new reptile. I see a sunglow leopard gecko in your future. :)

Shayne, if you get roaches and find that you have more than you need, I will gladly buy the excess. You know where to find me. :)

8. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Well I didn't discover it till the new manager took over. And he had the nerve to tell me I would kill Lucky if I kept feeding him so much. He said I should feed him every other day and only 15-20 crickets. I really wanted to say, says the guy who has no UVB and has his beardies on sand. What a joke... Not to mention all the stuff they have is waaay cheaper online even after shipping.

Shayne, I've received one order of crickets, and they are annoying, and are alive and well after a week. I'm amazed your animals didn't like the repti-worms. Mine don't smell bad at all. Maybe a bad batch because mine squirm like crazy.

9. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Oh and I would love to get a leopard gecko. They just look so happy with their smiles lol

10. Shayne

Shayne Active Member

Maybe I'll try the repti-worms instead of the Phoenix. I'll post something if they're different for my guys. My wife really wants a leopard gecko too. They are cool looking. We'll have to look at the next show. Good breeders at the shows? Safer bet than PetSmart or about the same (health, problems, etc.)? Like I said - I've never been to a show, so don't mean to offend any possible breeders out there - just curious!

11. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

I'm pretty sure any animal from a breeder is better than PetsMart. Lucky came healthy and gorgeous. He's dark now cause he's about to shed, so no one is allowed to go gr on me lol. Now you got me wanting one bad now. Thankfull I have one last place in my room for a tank.
    Repti-worms are raised differently than phoenix worms. I think the substrate and food is different. I'm not sure, but mine wiggle their way out of Lucky's dish if they get the chance.

12. BarelyBreathing

For leopard geckos, Designer Geckos is probably the best, but they're pretty pricey. I love the quality of leos that Clockwork Reptile Co. and Xtreme Beauty puts out. We have one leo from Designer, five from Clockwork, and two from Xtreme Beauty.

13. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

How much is pricey? I haven't really looked into any breeder's prices. I know they'll be more than PetsMart, but that's fine.

14. BarelyBreathing

We got our designer morph from Designer geckos for $75. A lot of their stuff is over $100. Meanwhile, Clockwork's geckos are in the $30-45 range for recessive morphs (they do a lot of Trempers, hybinos, and APTORs), and cheaper for normals, jungles, and high yellows. XB is about the same price, perhaps a little more pricey, but they have different morphs, too. They like to work with blizzards and snows.

15. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

I do like the Blizzard morphs. I'll shopping around. All I need a a 20 gallon tank, a heat mat and the gecko from there. I can get a light fixture from lowes and Newspaper is my best friend when it comes to substrate.

16. Shayne

Shayne Active Member

Here's their site. DESIGNERS | Designer Geckos I was just looking at them. Prices are listed.

17. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Some very pretty geckos, but my 150 budget won't allow me to purchase one from the Designer one. I'll just wait and see what the other ones have ^_^

18. BarelyBreathing

Hopefully XB will be selling used set ups again. :)

19. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

That would be great. I have a 10 gallon tank, but in all honesty, that's not big enough for anything except for maybe a pac man or a tarantula. Oh and babies, but all babies grow up and most be moved.
    Then I would make the hides out of old tupaware containers and have a blast with a hot glue gun and rocks. I see where people spend a lot of money on enclosures, but there are so many ways to save too.