This Disappears When Logged In

Rocks

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by tuffgi2001, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvMyLeo

LuvMyLeo Active Member

Certain rocks can absorb large amounts of heat at at time get way too hot and harm burn your reptile. Even if the temperature doesn't seem to hot when the animal is not on the rock; the addition of body heat to the rock absorption can be a serious problem. Always take some precautions and make sure that the basking lamp doesn't hang too low, and look out for black or darker colored rocks. In the wild they may be able to move to a more comfortable basking spot, but in an enclosure the options are much more limited. I would go with a log or less heat absorbent basking piece for your little guys (or gals)

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If the basking area is getting too hot you need to adjust your heating device.
    Where did you get that idea? Reptile bodies are only the temperature of their environment and do not have any "body heat" to add!

3. Jenn

Jenn Elite Member

Both my beardies have rocks to bask on. I find it very hard to believe that they get hot enough to burn them. Please show me a link to where I can read up more on them getting burned by rocks.

4. leahbrd

leahbrd Elite Member

Everything that I have read promotes using a rock for basking because it warms the belly of the beardie (or reptile) so that they can digest food more efficiently.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Oh you CAN get a rock hot enough to burn the animal by using too hot of a bulb!
    But that's a keeper's mistake in judgement and has nothing to do with using a rock!!

6. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

You will, however, need to be careful of the type of rock that you use. In a wet or very humid environment sandstone and similar types of rocks will leach minerals into the water which can be dangerous for your animal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.