This Disappears When Logged In

Rocks

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by tuffgi2001, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuffgi2001

tuffgi2001 Elite Member

I want to get some good sized rocks from the hills and what not around my home. My question is, if I put the rocks in boiling water for a few minutes, will that insure that nothing bad for my beardies survives; such as mites that are likely not there, but just in case. Thank you.

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Re: This is Probably the Most Suitable Location fo

It should.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Boiling water should kill anything. You can also put them in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Just be sure to wear gloves when removing them, and let them cool off for a good amount of time.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Do not put rocks in the oven!
    In the case with some porous types of stone there may be air pockets inside them that, under heat, could EXPLODE!
    A simple bleach bath will kill safely kill anything on the rocks, just wash them off thoroughly afterwards.

5. tuffgi2001

tuffgi2001 Elite Member

Thank you much. Thanks Merlin for giving me the heads up on that one, I likely woulda done it and had a pretty upset wife if I declared WW3 on her kitchen.

6. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Yes I agree with Merlin, it could end up ugly in the kitchen.

7. tuffgi2001

tuffgi2001 Elite Member

Just want to be sure, boiling water is ok, but oven is certainly not?

8. graduationxday

graduationxday Elite Member

lol I signed on to ask the same question. Ironyy!
    But yeah, I rinsed my rocks off under the hose [[putting my finger over it so the pressure was higher]] and scrubbed them with a toothbrush...
    Will they be okay or should I put them in some boiling water?

Oh, and I'm planning on connecting them all somehow and making a rock formation :]
    What should I use to put them together?

9. graduationxday

Oh. And since this is still on topic [[sorry for stealing your thread tuffgi...]]
    I got some driftwood last time I was at the beach.
    I just soaked it and baked it at 350 F for 30 minutes.
    I'm about to sand it too, I believe.
    Is that good? No buggies?

And one end of one of the pieces is beaten up to where it's like a broom kinda.
    Should I cut it off or is it okay to leave it?
    I'm putting this in a beardie tank.
    I'll be getting the beardie soon, and I dunno if he'd try to eat it?

10. tuffgi2001

tuffgi2001 Elite Member

Well I just got done boiling the rocks. Never seen so much steam come off of objects put in boiling water for so little time.

Quick Question...... Why is it they say not to put rocks under the basking light for the Beardies. In natural, they bask on rocks sitting in the sun all day and enjoy it. Anyone know if you really should not at all put rocks directly under basking lamp?

11. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

12. Merlin

Never heard that one! Many people deliberately put a peice of rock under the basking light to serve as a place to really warm up!
    Unless the basking lamp is so hot that it makes the spot way too warm I see no harm in it.

13. Merlin

Just water out of the hose will not sterilize them. You need to use either bleach water or boiling water.
    For joining them you can use epoxy.

14. tuffgi2001

tuffgi2001 Elite Member

That's exactly what I thought, but then again as much as I'd like to admit I know it all, I don't; so I figure I'll ask just to be safe.

They are surely enjoying there new basking rocks.

Thank you

15. graduationxday

Which would you recommend?
    One of the rocks I have is too big to boil, so I may have to bleach that one.
    I'll probably just bleach them all then.
    Do I need to soak them or anything after I bleach them to make sure there's no bleach in the pores? If they're even porous rocks...
    And 1 to 10 bleach water, right?

16. tuffgi2001

tuffgi2001 Elite Member

The ratio is 1 - 10. If you are worried about bleach getting in the pores, boil the ones that are small enough and bleach the biggest one if it doesn't fit. That way you have less risk and feel more comfortable ;)

17. Merlin

Just make sure tha you rinse them thoroughly. If you still smell bleach, rinse some more.

18. graduationxday

Hah okay makes sense.

19. grumpyoldtrout

grumpyoldtrout Well-Known Member

We use Milton, the sterilizing fluid that is used for Babies bottles. Not sure if it's called that over there, soak then rinse.

20. Merlin

I don't know that its available over here. I've never heard of it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.