This Disappears When Logged In

Rock Python

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by Rob, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob

Rob Elite Member

Does anyone here own a rock python that could share some info. Before i get attacked yes i know there big, i have experince with big snakes, i have a place to house it, and an extra set of hands to help me. I could house a female(if my research is right they usually dont go over 16ft) but i want a male(dont really get over 12ft). Let me know if my numbers are right and any info you have.

2. okiron

okiron Elite Member

Can't help you much but I am curious, how much is the permit to own a snake over 6ft anyway? Is it yearly or one time?

3. Rob

Rob Elite Member

i have never gotten one im not sure how it works in IL.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The one thing I can tell you about rocks is that they are extremely bad tempered! If you are looking for a large snake to handle that won't try to eat your face you need to look at other species.

5. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

If you want to get some practice with ill tempered pythons, I suggest that you begin with a Blood Python. They are mean as **** but are about the same size as a ball python.

6. Rob

Rob Elite Member

Im not trying to doubt your knowledge but do you actually own one. I really want a owners veiw i have heard alot of it is they just have a real bad rep. My friend has a burm thats mean as heck and she is 17ft and well over 150 pounds. Before you guys throw up the fact that its not mine im there as 1/3 of the sets of hands it takes to handle her everytime she needs to come out. Even with 3 people she is still a hand full. But back to the rock python I have really been thinking about giveing one a chance. If it comes out mean so be it im ready for that and i have 2 experinced people to help me. This is not an over night thing though im going to sit on the idea for awhile.

7. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Blood pythons attain 6-7 ft and are heavily bodied, not where comparable to a ball python, not all of them are mean tempered, a friend of mine has 3 huge adults and not one of them has ever even taken a strike at him.

8. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I owned a sumatran blood python and they are slightly shorter than a ball but much thicker. I got bitten more times than I can count.

9. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I thought they reached lengths of 18-20 ft + ?

10. Rob

Rob Elite Member

From my understanding that is the max and they rarely get that big.

11. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Hi Rob, just curious what type of experience that you have with large snakes? Have you ever owned one? I know you said you help your friend with theirs.

12. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

The only way to get experience is to be involved. The largest snakes that I have are RTB's and they can be a handful. If you have help and are willing to learn the hard way if necessary I say go for it. As long as you are able to provide the proper environment which it sounds like you can. Good luck and can't wait to see some pics. My only concern would be that they may be outlawed one day and you may have to get rid of it.

13. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

No, But if I err on the side of caution to get people to really think about what they are getting into, Then I am ok if someone thinks that I do not know what I am talking about.

It wasn't more than a couple of years ago that a woman was killed by a large python when she decided it was ok to do a little enclosure cleaning without back up. She always used backup, But one day she must have decided to risk it and she got constricted.

So please don't be offended.

14. Rob

Rob Elite Member

Of course im not offended. I came here for peoples thoughts and thats what i got so i am happy with what you guys have said.

And no i havent owned anything bigger than my boas but you have to start sometime.

15. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I like it when people think like this, we get so many Large constrictors and monitors, iguanas in at the rescue because people don't think before making that purchase.Very sad when someone thinks they know what they are getting in to, but in reality have no clue.

16. GoffReptiles

GoffReptiles Well-Known Member

No large snake permits needed in SoCal...

As far as getting a big python, why are you dead set on a Rock Python over a Burm? I understand the desire to have a large snake, but why get one that you are "likely" to not get to handle and enjoy? I would recommend getting a burm for a few reasons. You said you have experience there, you'll get the big snake, and with handling early on 9 out of 10 burms calm down and love coming out of the cage to stretch out...

17. bradenbundy

bradenbundy Member

hello i think i can help you with your problem. Yes i own an african rock python he is a little over 7ft long now. yes your numbers are correct on size but you do occasionally get those freak of nature snakes that grow huge lol but unlikely. as for the temperment males are often more docile and calm but still have a temper. I rescued my afrock from his previous owner who did not give a **** about him. he is a little cage aggressive at times i think the previous owner cage fed but not sure but as long as you handle him gently and dont move too fast but not super slow then he is fine he has never bit me personally but he did bite one of my friends that is very experienced but too rough. he has struck at me once and puffs (quiet hiss) a little but very rarely hisses but im gonna be honest once a rock reaches sexual maturity his temperment might get a little worse. a rock is not a snake to mess with after a feeding and during a shed unless you wanna get bit also it is a snake that everything is on his terms meaning if he strikes at you or hisses leave him alone for an hour or so and then try again if you force it you will stress him out and he may not bond with you ever. there is those rare rocks that have very little to no temper but almost all of them have a temper if they dont they are probably undercared for. but if you think you can handle it you will have a great project and in the end you will have a bigger bond with your rock then any other snake you may own. i hope this helps and if you have any further questions feel free to message me :)

18. bradenbundy

bradenbundy Member

and as far as people being killed or constricted which the statistics show more people are killed by dogs each year than snakes it is due to owner stupidity dont forget that. never be too confident and trustworthy it may have been bred in captivity but it still has the wild fire in its blood.

19. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Thanks for the great first hand info...just a friendly word- this thread is a little over 2 years old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.