This Disappears When Logged In

Road Kill Losses Add Up, Taxing Amphibians And Other Animals

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Rich, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

When frogs hit the road, many croak. Researchers found more than 65 animal species killed along a short stretch of roads and nearly 95 percent of the total dead were frogs and other amphibians, suggesting that road-related death, or road-kill, possibly contributes to their worldwide decline.

Read Complete Article ...

Use this thread to discuss the article above. What are your thoughts about Road Kill Losses Add Up, Taxing Amphibians And Other Animals?

2. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Re: Road Kill Losses Add Up, Taxing Amphibians And

wellpeople must realize...any road side populations should be considered dead, road kills are going to happen. the only way a species would be really affected was if it was indigenous to one pareticular area and there was a road.

Another interesting spin tho... I know of many range extensions happening to me and others from looking at road killed specimens. Even new species have been found as road kill, which would have maybe gone unoticed without it! Do you guys stop for every road killed reptile....it is very interesting. You might find somthing interesting...even in a well populated are! Some fossorial herps it is virtually the only way to get them

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Re: Road Kill Losses Add Up, Taxing Amphibians And

I believe it is in the forefront more now when they create roads they look into what species would be impacted. Unfortunately alot of the smaller ones can get overlooked such as frogs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.