This Disappears When Logged In

Road Herping in the Mojave

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by bell, Jun 25, 2011.

1. bell

bell Member

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of being able to go road herping at night around a small portion of the Mojave Desert in NV. Our purpose was to not only document what we found...... but get them off the roads! The amount of run over snake and lizards (and a donkey!) we saw was disheartening. But! We found a lot of awesome wildlife.

Here are a pics of a few of my favorite finds:

A variable ground snake:
    5826113511_1af6d8b79b_z.jpg
    This guy was pretty tiny! The other herper I was with has some awesome eyes!!

Panamint Rattler:
    5826760276_31df3da32c_z.jpg
    This guy was a beaut! He was our first rattler of the night.

A Gopher Snake:
    5826073815_b2c1602b44_z.jpg
    I was surprised at how small this bugger was. We have bull snakes in CO and our Bulls dwarf the Gophers we saw on this trip.

You can check out more pics here. I have to say herping and bug hunting is one of my favorite things to do!

Attached Files:

2. geckograndma

geckograndma Well-Known Member

i am glad you got them off the road. :)

3. bell

bell Member

In the grand scheme of things it probably didn't make THAT much of a difference but we felt better knowing that for the time being those animals would be safe. People were FLYING up and down the roads. Like, come on guys, there's a speed limit, it's not the autobahn. :p

4. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

The ground snake is awsome looking.

5. bell

bell Member

It is definitely the most brightly colored wild snake I've seen so far on my trips. I enjoyed seeing the rattler but that ground snake was probably one of my favorites finds of the night. I liked the Coleonyx geckos the best, though. :D

6. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

Definatly brighter than anything I have found in Ontario. Lol all we find are rat snakes an such. I would love to see a rattle snake in the wild.

7. bell

bell Member

You'll just have to mosey on south a bit, then. ;)

8. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

Well I am hoping to take a trip to the Florida everglads next winter with my wife and daughter.

9. THORGECKO

THORGECKO Member

The variegatus is beautiful. Is that a legal one to take in NV?

10. bell

bell Member

oOo, THAT will be fun! I've been to FL but never got a chance to get into the glades. :( I'd love to see a wild alligator, for sure! haha....

They are! They look like such happy little creatures. And yup, you can legally keep two.

11. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

I have been to Florida to but not the Everglades. An my daughter has a huge fascination with gators. I gotta move to nv An get me two of them.lol

12. THORGECKO

THORGECKO Member

That's awesome. Is the breeding laws like Cali? No breeding or selling? Must be given as pets or donated for science?

13. bell

bell Member

In NV you would most likely find your rattler, too. They have rattlers in certain parts of FL, though, too... and copperheads and cottonmouths and coral snakes, hahaha... lots of "fun" ones.

That I can not answer. I'm from CO so I'm not "up" on my NV laws and I don't think my friend really addressed that with me. I would assume those are the laws (as those are pretty much the laws in CO, too) but I would hate to give you false information based on assumption. The dept of fish & wildlife would know, though! Here's there contact info page (in case you didn't have it handy): Contact Us