This Disappears When Logged In

Roaches, Not Dubia

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by DwarvenChef, Jan 28, 2014.

1. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I tried finding the post that had the name of a roach I was able to get in Fresno but forgot the name... Started with an "L" and they where smaller than Dubia but non-climbers.

I'm looking to get a colony started but Dubia grow to big and would be useless to me once they passed the 1" mark.

Anyone know roaches well enough to have a clue what I'm looking for??

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Blatta lateralis,

Knew if I posted something I would stumble across it somewhere... ugh...

Anyone colonizing these guys?

I had an impromptu colony in my 40 breeder last year and didn't know it, was wondering why my emeralds where getting finicky about crix... Seems I had a hallow under a hide that had a few adults knocking out a steady stream of roaches that they where filling up on.

I have a spare 20 gal that I am going to convert into a production center but need to fine tune the system to these guys.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm glad you could help yourself,lol
    Interested on how they work out for you. Supposed to be quicker breeders than Dubias.
    But being much faster as well I wonder how they are at escaping.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Yeah, keep us posted. I might be interested in getting some from somewhere if they aren't too much of a hassle.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The males can also fly! That would be the deal breaker as far as my wife is concerned!

6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Been watching videos and such on them, breeding and feeding, and got the clearance to set up a tank in the garage. Now to get a colony started... reminds me I was going to call my local shop to see if he can get me a tub :p

I'm still not sure about temps, I know they require a higher humidity or they die off.

Most of the videos seem to point to the fact that these are used as food for spiders, webs cut the speed issues :p And I'm thinking that given the movement speed will be less of an issue with Sceloporus spp just due to their hyper active status. When I was feeding them these roaches as a treat (hard to find regularly) they would hit the ground running and sometimes they found refuge before the lid was closed, and my guys would stop watching me... Seeing some people using a glass petri dish kept most of them contained in the enclosure till some fool stepped into the dish :p

Will post as I go along with this.

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Oh crap, nevermind. They might never find my body if the wife saw that cruising through the air in our house. Don't think I'd be able to convince her it was my newest micro R/C aircraft.

8. pjrojo

pjrojo Subscribed User Premium Member

Blatta lateralis aka Red Runners, Rusty Red

I have a great colony going now, It's taken me about eight months to get where I am now, The males do not fly at all and they are non climbing roaches, Easy to breed, My Bearded Dragons LOVE them

I will take a few pictures and post

9. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Any different than what is advertised for breeding Dubia?

- - - Updated - - -

10. dociledragons

dociledragons Member

I just wanted to put my 2 cents in though I haven't read any of your posts. But, I have read on a couple of cases that people "used to" raise them but stopped b/c they have seen escapies and still do years later.

11. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Hazards of raising your own bugs as well as feeding said bugs. A risk we all take, as long as we follow good husbandry of our charges we can minimize the problems.

ironically I just ran into a guy at the beach catching kelp flies with a fish net to feed his lizards. His understanding and research tells him these are just as "clean" and buying farmed insects and that he has been doing this for over 30 years.

I'm not about to test that out on my own. I see his point and if it has been working for him, and he's breeding, who am I to say anything about it :p I have an invitation to visit :) If I see him more I'll see about having a look.

- - - Updated - - -

Hazards of raising your own bugs as well as feeding said bugs. A risk we all take, as long as we follow good husbandry of our charges we can minimize the problems.

ironically I just ran into a guy at the beach catching kelp flies with a fish net to feed his lizards. His understanding and research tells him these are just as "clean" and buying farmed insects and that he has been doing this for over 30 years.

I'm not about to test that out on my own. I see his point and if it has been working for him, and he's breeding, who am I to say anything about it :p I have an invitation to visit :) If I see him more I'll see about having a look.