This Disappears When Logged In

Roaches Galore!

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Dragoness, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Here are some pictures of what I did. I used foam weather stripping in a line around the lid. I had to cut grooves in the ridges along the lid for the foam to have a nice flat surface to adhere to, and form a good seal.

I used a hot glue gun to stick the window screen to the vents.

I taped over the holes in the handles. Every so often, when I clean cages, I refresh the tape. This bin still has tape around the rim because I thought I would try using it to deter them from climbing. It does not work at all for that.

Hope that helps you out.

Attached Files:

2. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

It is 90.7.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Roaches are live bearers, no eggs, just teeny tiny babies.

I find that cleaning out the tub once every 6 months is all they need. I have no idea what the temps are in my bin. It's cold in the basement (60 degrees) but i have a 75 watt moon bulb shining down into the bin. They are doing good, lots of babies, and FINALLY my females are almost to breeding age. This is good, because my last batch of adult females that I have left are probably close to their final days. They are getting up there in age.

Side note, to keep them from climbing out, line the inside with packing tape. They can't cross it, it's too slippery.

4. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Didn't know that. You learn something new every day, I guess.

5. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

They actually lay eggs in a sac, but suck it up inside them after a day or so. Babies hatch from that sac and out they come.

Sorry for the cell phone quality picture, but my phone was the only thing I had with me at the time.
    IMAG0943.jpg

Attached Files:

6. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Can I just say "eeeewww." But, cool.

7. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

I thought roaches were egg-layers! Weird... when I lived in Hawaii I could of sworn finding roach eggs... lol

8. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

I think the same thing, Jenn. :)

9. schlegelbagel

Yeah, they never fully release the egg sack, it kinda stays attached to their butt a few days, then the babies hatch from the mom.

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

When I was cleaning out the bin last week one of my females dropped her egg sac, I felt so bad!

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Some species of cockroach do leave an egg case (Ootheca). American Cockroaches (Palmetto bugs) do, as do my Turkestan Roaches, and I'm pretty sure German Cockroaches do as well.

Dubia and hissers both incubate the eggs internally.

12. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Thanks for those pics Jen! They were really helpful! I want to move them out of the ten gallon they are in as soon as possible! I'm going to have to wait to get another kind of heat source. I have a heat pad on top of the screen, but it would never heat a tub enough. Barely does the job in the ten gallon.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have a human heat pad under my bins, and it heats them marvelously.

14. schlegelbagel

yes, heat rises, don't put the pad on top, put it underneath. If I could get my husband to not be so fearful of the house burning down because of a heating pad on a CEMENT floor in the basement, that's how I'd be heating mine. I don't get that phobia. I finally got him to stop unplugging the toaster after 8 years. Because a toaster that isn't being used is totally going to burn the house down if plugged in. Next, the iron!

15. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm like your husband, paranoid of the what if.

16. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Yeah, I think I need to move it. lol For some reason... I didn't even think about that.:confused:

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I am a certifiable pyrophobe! lol. I do not like CHE's because they get so hot. They make me nervous. I'm afraid to leave my crock pot on when I leave the house. But I'm fine with Human heating pads, so they must be safe ;)

18. schlegelbagel

I would starve without my crock pot. I prepare it the night before, stick in fridge, in the morning I plug it in, turn it on, and when I get home from picking up Emily at daycare, dinner is ready!