This Disappears When Logged In

Roaches Galore!

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Dragoness, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Been so busy lately, I hardly ever bother to check on my roaches other than feeding/watering. As we know, they seem to thrive best on neglect. Today, I actually took the time to separate a few of the egg crates in my hisser bin, and was pleasantly surprised. I'm thinking there have been 4-6 'litters' this month! I put some carrots down (their favorite) and went and got the camera.

I got hopeful, and checked on my dubias too, but no babies yet.

My Turkestan roaches, however, are breeding very very well. I will be offering them for sale here eventually (I'm in Michigan - shipping might not be feasible for them for some months.)

Attached Files:

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

They look great, keep up the good work! LOL just feed water and forget:) my kind of feeder.
    I just cleaned out my roach bin, wow, I put all the waste in a garbage bin and I had to add more egg crates, they are so full and heavy. I hardly have room to put the food, and water gel. I need a bigger container, but I don't thing they make them any bigger!

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Once my colonies are big enough, I plan on dividing them and housing them as multiple separate colonies. It's kind of my insurance in case on fails on me. Once my current hisser nymphs are mature, that bin will weigh a TON.

4. mld

Yeah, I should really separate and make two bins, the males are being very territorial fighting with each other for their section of the egg flats. If they weren't illegal I would sell some of the males off.

5. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

Jealous! Need my juvies to grow up! My original males have been dying off and the one or to I have left just don't seem up to the job.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

What Specie(s) do you keep?

7. mld

Too bad you didn't live closer, I would give you a bunch of males! I like the females and my bearded dragon prefers the females or the freshly molted ones.

8. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

Looks great! I'm currently breeding mealworms and crickets... almost got my first batch of little pinheads! Good thing to, my mourning gecko needs some more diversity in her diet and no petstores in my area sell small enough crickets!

9. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Well aren't you the rebel! :)

I'm afraid to check for eggs with my roaches because I'm afraid there won't be any. The tub needs to be cleaned though so I will be finding out soon if they are successfully breeding.

10. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

This is what I do. I also rotate which bins I feed from so that there is ample time to replenish.

11. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Congrats! My Dubias are exploding,it took a bit for the colony to take off but when it did it grew fast! I started out with 12 adults and now have well over a thousand. I didn't think about separating into a few colonies! I am definitely going to do this at my next cleaning,great idea!

12. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Well, congrats! What are you using for your hissers? If just a regular plastic bin, how do you keep the babies from squeezing out the top?

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I use a regular plastic bin, but I taped over any holes (often, the handles have holes in them to prevent children from suffocating, etc) and put a line of foam weather stripping around the lid, so it forms a seal. The vents are very fine screen, on the ceiling. One inch circles glued in place with hot glue. Screen holes are small enough the nymphs can't get out. I can get pictures of it if you want. I did lose a few nymphs before I figured this out. Thankfully, the rest of the house is about 63ºF, so they didn't last long. I found some little carcasses, and I'm sure the cats ate a few.

Petroleum jelly will also keep bugs where you want them, as most bugs will NOT cross it. I may do that if I ever end up housing these guys in glass, which I doubt I will do.

14. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

Wish that too! Hoping some of the juvies are male to get this colony growing a little faster. I know I've had babies just not fast enough.

15. mld

Males have a narrower bottom segment! If that help any, although you will want to have more females because they are the ones carrying the eggs.

16. BarelyBreathing

Are you talking about dubias? Males have wings and females don't

17. mld

I was talking about telling the difference as juveniles, because they both have small wings at that stage.

18. BarelyBreathing

Oh, okay. I misunderstood.

19. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Yeah, that would be great! I have my few in a 10 gallon with a very tight fitting lid right now, but eventually I will need more space. It sounds like you have a really great way to fix my biggest worry though. :)

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It doesn't take a lot of males. What temperature are you keeping the colony at?