This Disappears When Logged In

River Tank Kits

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by beefcakemighty, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beefcakemighty

beefcakemighty Elite Member

has anyone see them before????...it started when i was reading a book on cage building and it had said for amphibians and fish you could get a river tank kit...soo i looked into it and ran into a site that makes them but just like all companies they had the prices jacked way up there sooo i wasing think is ther a way i could use GS or something and then seal it with something waterproof???? id like to make it myself and save some money:(....

heres a link to the one site i found

River Tank

if it doesnt work its call rivertank.com

2. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

Re: River Tank Kits??????

You could make it using plexiglass dividers and caulking them in I have seen that glass painted with glue and having sifted sand put on them to resemble river rocks like they described. It is fairly cheap, and you can actually just use aquarium rock and silicon it on. I would imagine you could just use an ornamental fountain pump from a hardware store and rig a whisper filter to clean the water.

3. Gewanchuk

Gewanchuk Junior Member

You could use great stuff foam, styrofoam cut to rock shapes, cement, anything really. Just seal it all up with epoxy. West System or East system (a tad cheaper) is what I use.

[​IMG]

This the pond and the bottom of the waterfall in my water dragon cage. It's styrofoam coated with about 1/4" of cement, painted and epoxied. Works very well.

4. beefcakemighty

wow i like the waterfall you have any pictures of the whole cage i could see.... i like the idea ill have to use the same materials as you and make a larger scale copy of the river so i can put a turtle or two in it...

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

of course you can build it yourself. and its FUN.

I have a really simple setup for my fire belly toads. You can go as wild as you can imagine. Start up some plans and everyone can help you where you need help.

Filter and pump all in one big fake rock thing.
    Plexiglass and aquarium silicone seal the land from the water.
    A few big rocks for them to "dock" on.

[​IMG]

6. Gewanchuk

Gewanchuk Junior Member

[​IMG]

Here's the outside. Just needs paint and trim.

[​IMG]

This is the front. The vent is at the bottom.

[​IMG]

This is the side from the door.

[​IMG]

This is the top left. The middle pool of the waterfall is in the back.

7. Gewanchuk

Gewanchuk Junior Member

All the pics of construction are on my photobucket album. I'll try to post the link. Let me know if it doesn't work and I'll try something else. Email or message me if you have any specific questions. gewanchuk - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

8. beefcakemighty

wow awesome pictures and yes the link works thanks for the help...:( sadly im not going to build the tank now cause im getting the inside of my house repainted and new carpet plus im still waiting till i go to this reptile expo and see what they have....i just wanted to see what people thought first but i will be posting later for help on making the tank... once again thanks sooo much for helping:D

9. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

I saved your photbucket page to me favorites. Would it be ok to borrow some of your ideas for my viv? Construction starts this weekend. Wish me luck! lol

10. beefcakemighty

Good Luck!!!!

11. Gewanchuk

Gewanchuk Junior Member

Definitely. Feel free to email me if you need any info. And of course, good luck. Have fun.

12. tlh9162

tlh9162 Elite Member

Thanks Gewan...that is prolly a definite! lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.