This Disappears When Logged In

River in Enclosure?

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Jkbauer13, Jul 18, 2012.

1. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

Rougher sketch lol

Attached Files:

2. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

If you use the table saw, remember to stand to the side, wear eye protection, and use clamps! No blood!

The dremel tool is also a very good idea.

3. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Why not just buy a section of gutter?

4. Jkbauer13

Jkbauer13 Elite Member

Ah ha! Good idea!

5. CentriRitanni

If you use gutter, be very careful on how you finish the edges.

6. Jkbauer13

Jkbauer13 Elite Member

Im sure when putting it in the enclosure I can just put a bead a silicone along any sharp edges, I'm sure I can think of a way to hide it

7. CentriRitanni

I would seal a piece of rubber over it (the sort that is a u shape, like weather stripping almost), that way, even if the silicone is weakened for any reason, you aren't exposing an animal to a potentially dangerous edge.

8. Jkbauer13

Jkbauer13 Elite Member

gotcha thanks!

9. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Most (all?) gutters have finished edges...the only part you would really need to pay attention to are the ends, which you can cap with a pre-fit end cap. I would even think about using a down spout on the end that leads to a reservoir beneath the enclosure. Just cover the hole with a particulate/leaf guard.

10. CentriRitanni

I derped. I was thinking of using a downspout, then cutting it, having completely forgotten about the fact that there is already guttering that is open... derp derp derp. But the point remains (sorta)! Any not already finished edges would need a rubber covering with silicon attaching it.

11. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Right, but like I said the edges of most gutters are rounded over. The op may also be able to find Vinyl stuff too.

12. CentriRitanni

I meant if he cuts it to fit his enclosure... the end would need to be covered carefully, though depending on if he has it moving into a reservoir or pumping back to the front, the way he connects it might change, but regardless, any not finished edges should be covered. I didn't mean the top of the gutter, just any unfinished edges.

13. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I see :) The ends should be the only place where there are any cuts made, but these can be capped with end caps, though.

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Are you all talking about plastic guttering, if yes, the cut edges can very easily be sanded smooth.

15. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Vinyl or metal--either or will work fine.

16. Vers

Vers Elite Member

And just for visual reference...

A short section of this+this+a couple of these with a bit of this :)

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks! I`m a bit lost now, why would it need cutting in the first place, and what`s the point of doing all this (especially in a Savannah monitor enclosure, though I know this thread isn`t about that animal)? No disrespect to the OP, of course! ;)

18. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I'm a bit lost, too...whats up with the sav reference? As for why you would need to cut it, not many gutters come in 4-5' sections ;)

EDIT: I see where you got it from :D

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I don`t see a monitor defaecating in a narrow piece of pipe, rather in the drinking water/soaking dish, or on the substrate! It would be interesting to hear if the animal can be trained to use the pipe, though....(I await a progress report). :-"

20. Vers

Vers Elite Member

For what it's worth I was making no such recommendation for a monitor, but rather a crestie. That was, after all, what the thread was based around....right?