This Disappears When Logged In

River in Enclosure?

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Jkbauer13, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Jkbauer13

Jkbauer13 Elite Member

Does anybody have any ideas on how to make a river in a enclosure? I was thinking maybe stack up some sheets of blue foam and carve it out and then seal it.

2. SuziQ3

SuziQ3 Well-Known Member

How big of an enclosure?

3. doubleplusungood

doubleplusungood Well-Known Member

4. Jkbauer13

Jkbauer13 Elite Member

Thanks, I've been reading up on those links already!

5. doubleplusungood

Ahh, well I wish I could help more but I have absolutely no carpentry skills or anything like that.

6. Jkbauer13

Jkbauer13 Elite Member

I can't imagine it would be very difficult to carve out. My worries is just the sealing part

7. doubleplusungood

I would think that some thinset and a lot of polycrylic would do the job. Maybe some drylok to ensure extra protection?

8. gus211

gus211 Well-Known Member

You can try using pvc pipe cut in half.

9. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

Make the shape you want using PVC, cut it to the depth you like, seal it with aquarium sealant.

10. Jkbauer13

Jkbauer13 Elite Member

Good idea!

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What animal are we talking about here?

12. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I like the pvc pipe idea. Would be tricky to slice in half though.
    Depending on size of enclosure you might a suitable preformed waterfall liner.

13. Jkbauer13

Jkbauer13 Elite Member

I'm helping my girlfriend with the set up a planted tank for a crested gecko and she really wants a river so I told her I would look into it haha

14. Jkbauer13

Jkbauer13 Elite Member

This also kind of inspired me researching this, what do you guys think of that same plan on a large scale enclosure?

15. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

For a crestie? I can't imagine that the size of enclosure is going to really permit this. You may be better off with one of those pre-made waterfalls.

16. Jkbauer13

Jkbauer13 Elite Member

It's going to be in a 55, what do you think? And I think with a wider diameter pvc this same method could work well in my sav enclosure

- - - Updated - - -

And by "I think" I mean " I have no idea so input would be awesome" haha :)

17. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

My mind went to 3"-4" diameter pipe, but for pieces shorter than 10", I just use a jigsaw clamp rig. You could use a table saw *ADVISORY: DO NOT USE A TABLE SAW TO RIP ANYTHING IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN TRAINED TO DO SO* with clamps and run it carefully, then use a jig saw to clean up the cut at the end. It can definitely be done, just a matter of tools, know-how, and safety. :)

18. Jkbauer13

Jkbauer13 Elite Member

I have a jigsaw and table saw and can run both at least well enough to not injure myself so I'll ask around at work (Landscaping) I'm sure that someone there knows which would work better

19. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

A dremel will be OK to cut the pipe too.

20. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

Rough sketch of my idea only thing not in it is the reservoir that will feed the water fountain and hold the filtration system i'm thinking of doing it like the ones that you use for an aquarium but at a smaller scale below the custom enclosure

Attached Files: