This Disappears When Logged In

RIP Sullivan

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by Rakoladycz, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I am almost too ashamed and too embarrassed to post.

Last Saturday I took Sullivan out of his enclosure to let him soak as I regularly do. Normally I will let him soak for 20-30 minutes and check on him every few minutes(He usually moves around more when noone else is in bathroom), just to make sure he hasn't climbed out of the tub or wallowing around in his stool.

Well this time I decided he was fine and that I wasn't going to watch him. I come back about 30 minutes later and he has flipped himself over and drowned. I feel terrible about it and if I had kept an eye on him this would not have been possible.

Sullivan was nearly 6 years old in my possession, far and beyond my favorite reptile I had ever owned.

I will continue to enjoy herps and I look forward to my next monitor once my project enclosure is finished. Until then I will miss my Sullivan and learn from my mistakes.

2. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

I feel for you. I screwed up a couple of years ago and it cost one of my parrots its life. I'll never forgive myself for it, when I do think about it, I wish I had a time machine.
    Life goes on though, you just have to accept it, not beat yourself up, and put your energies into making sure something like that doesn't happen again.

It's a sad day, but you're not alone. :)

3. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

I am very sorry to hear! Honestly, it sounds like a freak accident. I would never think a healthy lizard would drown with thirty minutes in a bath tub.

Mistakes do happen. You are human. It is going to be ok.

I lost my first dog when I was fourteen, totally my fault. I tied him outside, like I always did, and noticed he wasnt barking. Went to check on him and found that in his pacing he had twisted his chain so tight that he suffocated. He was only out there for thirty to forty minutes.

I will never forgive myself for that, he was a gift for my sixth b day.
    I did learn from that terrible mistake tho.
    Thoughts and prayers are with you
    God bless.

4. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

It is so hard to lose an animal, especially when you blame yourself. Accidents happen. RIP Sullivan. :(

Most of us have made mistakes and you aren't the only one. I've lost a few hatchlings and one sub adult gecko do to dehydration issues. Thanks for posting this because it helps the herp community in the long run.

5. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. I have noticed from your posts how much you cared about him. Accidents happen, and this truly does sound like a freak accident.

A similar thing that happened to me was 13, but with a gerbil. I had one in a ball just letting it role around where ever it wanted, and I went outside to get the mail, was only gone for 5 minutes at most. When I came back inside, the gerbil had rolled off the step dividing the dining room and the kitchen, right into the dog's water bowl.

All you can do about situations like that is to learn from it. Even though it is heart breaking and you have a million thoughts along the lines of "What if" or "I could of", it is an accident that could of happen to anyone.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Monitor, I'm sure he will be deeply missed! Don't beat yourself up, we all learn from our own mistakes as well as others mistakes.

I know a lot of people will read your story and learn from it, so by telling us your story, it may very well save someone else's reptile.

Take care, RIP Sullivan!

7. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I am so very sorry for your loss, we all make mistakes , the important thing is to learn from them.

8. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Sorry to hear of your loss. :(

9. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Thank you all for all of your support.

10. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Randy, I am so sorry for your loss. We all make mistakes and hopefully, we all learn form them. There really was no way to have figured something like this would happen, especially when this was a normal routine except in this case, you left him longer than normal. From what I know of you, your animals all have fantastic care and are all well loved. Don't beat yourself up too much, I know he would forgive you- so do yourself a favor and forgive yourself. Take care, David.

You are in the prayers of the McConley family!

11. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss:(, as stated above,..we all make mistakes, however if we learn from them and are able to educate/inform others then hopefully you can keep this in the perspective of a "life lesson".. Don't beat yourself up about it, and try to focus on the all the positive experiences you had with him....
    Again, I am so sorry for your loss, I know it isn't easy when we lose a beloved pet.