This Disappears When Logged In

RIP Little Girl

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by Kernel, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Well, my baby motley het opal butter corn died last night unexpectedly :( I was feeding last night and when I got to her, she wouldn't eat, was sneezing and kept holding her mouth open. Her skin was wrinkled, so figured she was either a little dehydrated or needing to shed, so I put her in some luke warm water (not even enough to cover her back). I went to check on her 15 minutes later and she was crawling around, then I checked on her another 15 minutes later and she was dead :( I know she didn't drown cause as I said it didn't even come up over her back. She had a swelling a 3rd of the way down from her head, another one in her mid section and another right by the tail, none of which were there before I put her in the water. I put her in the freezer and I'm going to see how much it costs for a necropsy.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

So sorry to hear about your loss! :( Hopefully there isn't anything going around

3. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Ah! Freezer is a bad idea for a necropsy, if she hasn't frozen yet, the fridge is a better place. Freezing can destroy evidence of what caused the death.

So sorry for your loss by the way. :(

4. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

I put her in the freezer last night.... I couldn't get a necropsy done till the weekend, so I thought putting her in in the freezer would preserve her. Even in the fridge, in a few days she would have decomposed to much for a necropsy. DARN IT!!!

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

So sorry to hear about your loss man.. hope things work out so you can find out what happened. keep us posted if you do find out, seems like a lot of open mouth breathing going on with herps lately, wonder if it's anything.

6. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Rest in peace little one! Sorry for your loss! I hope it's not something that can be spread around :(

7. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

There are some things that will still be found in the necropsy even if the snake was in the freezer, it's just some things can degrade too much. Hopefully whatever happened can be found!

8. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Dang! A basic necropsy cost $80 and to do lab work to see if it was bacterial or viral is another $100-$150. I don't have the money to do that.

9. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Sorry abouy your loss Caleb i hope its not something that can goto your other snakes

10. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Me too, that's what I'm really worried about.

11. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Ok, I talked to the breeder and another corn snake from the same clutch died the same exact way. So, right now all we can figure is it's something genetic. I'm going to take her up to my local reptile shop and they are going to cut her open (since I really don't know what I'm doing) and see if they can figure out what the swellings are. Also, the breeder is giving me a $30 (what I paid for her) to use when I see a snake that fits breeding criteria, even though he only had a 2 week guarantee. He's also going to keep an eye out for a snake that I could breed to my male opal stripe to reproduce opal stripe, opal motley and stuff like that.

12. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Glad to her the breeder is helping you out.

13. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Yea, I guess it helps that I know him through a forum and talk to him on the phone every once in a while.

14. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Hope you get it all figured out. Remember i want one of your babies :D. I met a Tokay gecko breeder on another site and hes giving me tons of help getting my guy healthy again. Hes also gonna get me a new female later since mine didnt make it.

15. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Happy to hear he's going to work with you. That's why it's best to deal with good breeders I think. Let us know if you do find out anything

16. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Yea, I love doing business with him. He promptly answers emails and phone calls and is always working to please his customers. I will be sure to let you all know if I find out anything.

17. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this! :( Let us know what they find when they open her up and it's good that the breeder is being so responsible.

18. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

So sorry your little one died Caleb. :(
    Great that the breeder is being so supportive!
    I hope they find out something from the necropsy that can help you and/your breeder.

19. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Thanks everyone. They won't be able to do a full necropsy cause like an idiot I put her in the freezer. The main thing we hope to find out is what the swellings are. Hopefully it wasn't something viral or bacterial.

20. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Keep us updated bud