This Disappears When Logged In

RIP Lexie!!!

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by David McConley, Dec 9, 2011.

1. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Today, 12/09/2011, at 925 a.m. my family and I had to say goodbye to one of our beloved family members. Lexie was a chihuahua mixed breed dog whom we adopted at PetSmart in 2003. The store we got her from "ESTIMATED" her age at the time of adoption to be three years old, but we feel she was at the very least four to five years from what our veterinarian guessed based on her first visit. She was a scrawny, flea bitten little dog who was infested with heartworms. We had her treated with the arsenic injections and had to keep her relatively immobile for 8 weeks while she was able to get all the medication and heartworms out of her system. During the next 8 years, she grew closer and more loved as a member of the family. She was our "Alpha" female dog and was second in seniority only to our now 16 year old gray tabby cat Clyde. Lexie was only 12 pounds at her heaviest and for all that she was a tiny little wisp of a dog, she had the heart of a bull mastiff. She was a fighter from the word go and never had a day in which anyone could say she was a loser in the animal world. She always had a wag in her tail and a dainty little spring in her step.

About 2 1/2 years ago, Lexie began to have seizures. She would start to seize and shiver. Sometimes, she would have a severe seizure that would cause her to lose control of her functions. The veterinarians could not pinpoint the main cause of the seizures, only that it must have been something that was congenital. She would sometimes come out of one seizure only to lapse right back in to another, and yet another- sometimes as many as four in a row. As she came out, the confusion in her eyes could clearly be seen. She had no idea what had happened or why. Through it all she was always a loving and very happy lap dog.

The latest troubles for her came about 2 months ago. She started to get sick 6 to 8 hours after eating her meals. She was eating a lamb and rice formula from the veterinarian and we changed her over to normal dog food, then we changed her over to soft dog food, from there it was canned dog food and after that...puppy food and canned puppy food. All of this was to no avail. She got sick every time, and began to lose weight, slowly at first- then more and more. Today, as I looked at her stick thin little body, I decided we could put it off no longer. I called the vet and made an appointment for her. The vet said she may have had a blockage in her stomach (this is much similar to when people have bariatric surgery- the blockage was telling her she was full and eating too much would cause her to bring all the food back up), or she may have had a severe traumatic reaction at some point that just began to manifest itself, or she may have had a diaphragmatic hernia (this is where a portion of the diaphragm is torn in the abdominal cavity and a part of the intestine has poked through causing a "pinching" of the intestines). Essentially, the veterinarian said Lexie was basically starving herself to death, and the most humane thing I could think of to do was to end her misery and suffering. She was loved as much as any family member ever could be and she will be greatly missed. I apologize for the extreme length of this post, but I feel Lexie deserved at least this much.

REST IN PEACE LEXIE MCCONLEY
    Born:1998-2002
    Passed:09 December 2011

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry for your loss David. My condolences and I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. Lexie can never be replaced so I hope time passes quickly and heals the wounds, leaving you only with the good memories she gave you.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

My sympathies David! I have also had to make that decision and its the hardest thing I have ever had to do.
    But you have to put your own feelings aside and do whats best for the dog.
    No matter how it tears you up.

4. David McConley

Thanks Joey and Merlin. Yes, it was extremely difficult, but I know she is no longer suffering and i really was what was best for her. Now, I just have to figure out how to break the news to my four and a half year old, Sean. :(

5. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

I'm sorry, David. You saved her life, and she surely knew this. You gave her the best, and in return she gave you all the love in the world.

This tears me up because we may have to put one of our little dogs down, soon.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It will be tough. But try reading him the Rainbow bridge poem and let him know that Lexie is there waiting for him.

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Just want to say how sorry I am for your family's loss :(
    Lexie sounds like she was a wonderful member of your family, as you describe her, I could see her in my mind and couldn't help but smile! My Grandfather always had chihuahua's and they do have the personality of a bull mastiff, LOL Tough little dogs.
    You did the right thing for her, I know its an extremely hard decision to make, but she was ready!

Rest In Peace Little Lexie

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Really sorry David, I feel as you do, they`re a part of the family in every sense of the word.
    You did what was best for her, and she had a great life with you all, it doesn`t get better than that.
    She`s not in pain any more, that`s the only way to look at it, I think...

9. David McConley

I probably will do just that- we have that poem hanging up in a frame in our living room. My mother-in-law embroidered it for us when the first dog we got had to be put to sleep in 2001. Gizmo was born one our first wedding anniversary and she stayed with us for 13 too short years.

10. David McConley

Thanks Michele ans Stefan, it really is great to have awesome friends. I can honestly say, even though we have never met in person, you are some of my best friends.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Likewise, David...

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Now you're making me cry again! There goes the mascara, got to start getting waterproof stuff!

13. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

So sorry David! I know she will be missed. My prayers are with you and your family!

14. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Very sad to hear this news :( , but after reading the whole post, you sure did do her a great service by giving her a happy home.

15. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I am so sorry my friend! Reading this just broke my heart, I can feel the love,compassion and strength you have for Lexie,through your writing...such a wonderful life you gave to her and she to you....my heart goes out to you and your family :(

16. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

I'm so sorry for your loss! Reading this whole thread through made me hold back tears. My dog died about 2 years ago.

17. David McConley

Thank you everyone for the wonderful sentiments. I am a truly fortunate person to have such special friends.