This Disappears When Logged In

RIP Distichus

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by AjaMichelle, Jan 11, 2012.

1. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

My hispaniolan bark anole just died in my hands.

I noticed she was showing her age lately. She hadn't been beating up on the females or stealing food from her buddy, a male literally three times her size.

She gave up her territory and was hanging back. Became a little thinner but other than that was okay.

She was brought back from Florida to be a lab anole... She wasn't the right species so instead of euthanizing her, I took her home to live with my other anoles. She was always my favorite female. Such a character. She was sea foam green, and eluded my best efforts to takes photos of her. I was going to get her a companion of her species but figured she wouldn't have it based on how she acted around the others.

She was acting sort of strange tonight. I saw another anole messing with her and took her out of the Viv. She just sat in my hands and took her last breath and that was it.

I'll bury her tomorrow. Under the roses.

This sucks. :'(

2. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

That's so sad Aja, I'm so sorry to hear that. Quite a few of us including myself have had our beloved lizards pass away in the past few days. At least it was quick and she did not suffer for long. Be happy that you gave her a wonderful life, and thankful for her companionship and that she loved you enough to wait for you to say goodbye before she left.

3. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Thank you. Thats so sweet. She flared her dewlap at me when I picked her up.

4. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Some of them have a funny way of showing they care! :)

5. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I'm sorry about K'nuckles. Perhaps he was holding on for someone like you.
    It's hard not to love Iguanid lizards (anoles are iguanids too) :)

6. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I agree, which is why it breaks my heart knowing that there are people out there like K'nuckles' previous owner who go out and buy them, and then decide they're too much work and just leave them for dead. Life is just too short for some and his passing has made me realize that every moment with our herps is precious!

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon and your other anoles are extra sweet to you during this difficult time!

7. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Im so sorry to hear that aja. At least she was able to pass on in the hands of someone she knew loved her. Im sure she had a great life with you. May she RIP.

8. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Sorry about your anole friend. She was obviously a character. Now she is running around bullying all the other anoles in their little piece of paradise.

9. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

So sorry about the loss of your friend! You gave her a much better home than she would have had.

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry to hear about Distichus passing away! Sounds like she was a great gal with a mind of her own, I'm sure she will be missed. She was given a second chance at life when you took her in, but age is a hard one to beat. Rest in Peace Distichus

11. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

I'm sorry, Aja. It's always hard, no matter how small and scaly they are.

12. Swimmer522

Swimmer522 Elite Member

Thats sad :( I'm very sorry. I know my anoles have such character too. But you gave her a much better and much much longer life then she would have if you didn't save her. Horrible to lose a friend.

13. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Thank you all for your kind words. :) I knew if anyone would understand it would be all of you.

14. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Always here for you aja! :)