This Disappears When Logged In

RIP Aries ):

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by ariesmommy, Mar 15, 2012.

1. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

Am I okay??? Physically yes...emotionally no. Tonight was a horrible night and I wasn't thinking straight I was just reacting. We used a new heater tonight (MY DECISION). My husband woke me up and asked me why Deamon was doing something. I figured he was doing the usually head bobbing to his reflection....NO he was panting! All I had to do was walk in the room and already panic. It was so hot back there! I looked at Deamon's temperature gauge and it said 105!!!! I panicked, grabbed him and ran to the shower! If I didn't he probably would have died within minutes because I was unsure how long it was thta hot. I checked on Demon and Lucky and they were at the bottom of their cages but their temperature was at 100 so I immediately cut their lights off and sprayed them until the room cooled off. Their side of the room stays cooler because of the windows and the hallway to the back of the house. Then I went to check on my husband's ball python Medusa...her gauge was buried. The highest temp is 105 on her gauge so it was above that. Medusa is still fighting so I will continue to fight with her. I will not sleep until she gets better. I just hope she is completely fine when I get her back to normal. She has a chance of having brain damage but I'm hoping and praying she doesn't. Aries though....He passed away before I could help him. It is my fault that this happened to them. If Deamon wants to tear me up so be it! If little Demon wants to bite and scratch me I'll let him. Lucky is too sweet to do anything but if she decides she doesn't like me I'd take anything and all the pain they want to put me through because they suffered enough tonight! Never use a heater you've never used before cause you might end up in a situation like me. I'm heartbroken I couldn't help Aries but I can help the rest and that's what I'm gonna do. Deamon, Demon and Lucky are getting collard greens, kale, mango and apples in the morning. Medusa is going to the vet as soon as my husband gets home from work at 8am and getting a good soak two or three times a day. They deserve the pampering and I'm going to dedicate all the time and love I have to them. I feel like such a horrible person but like everybody's trying to tell me (and you know who you are)....it was an honest mistake. If I could take it back and have Aries back I would in a heartbeat! I will never use that heater again and if it's up to me I will blow that thing up with a shotgun.

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

RIP Aries! And all the best wishes for the othes -- including you Julia Mae.
    People make mistakes. It sounds like you are doing everything you can; don't waste your energy beating yourself up!
    Take care! :)

3. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

The iguanas are fine. Luckily Lily (our newest BP addition) was still in the living room. The other day I was going to move the snakes into the living room but I decided it would wait till the next day...the next day came and went with a few more days and today I wish I had of done it that day. One...Aries wouldnt be dead and Two...Medusa wouldnt be hurting. I cant wait to take her to the vet. I just hope they dont have to put her to sleep ): She's horrible but she's getting stronger every hour so maybe Im doing everything right :) Lets hope and pray she comes out fine! I spent 4 hours crying...I seen my husbands number come up on the tv caller id and I immediately started crying because I thought he was mad at me...The first words that came out of his mouth when I answered was "whats wrong?" I was like "I killed your snake!" He said "it was an accident...we didnt know the heater had something wrong with it" I told him "It was my idea to put it in there" He said "yes but you did it because it was too cold. And again we didnt know something was wrong with it" He's okay but I know hes upset about Aries...Aries was our first snake! I keep thinking about a year ago I was terrified of snakes and now Im sitting here crying over one! How crazy is that!? But he's in a better place and hes not hurting anymore ): I just wish I could have got to him in time.

4. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Oh no I am so sorry! :( *hugs* It was NOT your fault! Don't beat yourself up, just keep working to love the ones who are still in need of your love. I'm thinking of you all, especially Medusa.

5. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

Thank you...1 hour and 48 minutes till my husband gets off work and we can take her to the vet. I just hope she keeps hanging in there! Shes moving a bit but not much. She doesnt have much strength left in her but Im trying to get some electrolytes in her. I dont want to oversoak her but I want her to get better too! thanks again!

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

So sorry to hear about Aries :(
    Sending healing thoughts you way, best of luck at the vet, hope she gets better.

Was it a space heater?

7. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

8. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Sorry for your loss :(

9. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I am so sorry for your loss RIP Aries!
    Sending you good vibes that the others make a full recovery.

10. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am sorry for your loss but I want to use this opportunity to display to everyone why it is crucial to use rheostats, dimmer switches or thermostats with heating devices. Space heaters, ceramic heat emitters, etc. are all dangerous devices that have the ability to kill. If they are regulated using the mentioned tools above we can control them and ensure that our charters are safe. ALL of your heating devices need to be regulated. (That is a statement for EVERYONE.)

11. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

No it wasnt a space heater. thank you :) I hope she does too!

No it wasnt that. Thank you :)

ok one the heater had a thermometer on it! and two the thermometer wasnt reading the temps so I think it was just a bad heater. We already had one just like it and when it got to the temp that we set it on it always went off...this one malfunctioned or whatever and didnt shut off when it was supposed to. So its not my fault the company screwed up and sold a defective piece of equipment...not being rude or whatever but I have everything Im supposed to for my animals. Plus Im really stressed out too! thanks for your advice though.

12. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

RIP Aries,

I am very sorry for your loss. However, as stated before you shouldn't beat yourself up over this, it was a mistake and it could have happened to anyone.

13. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

I just want everybody to know that just because you go and buy the same exact heater doesnt mean it cant malfunction. Mine did and now I have to suffer with it and so does Medusa. Im hoping within the next few days she will come around and the medicine with help if not we're putting her to sleep so she doesnt have to suffer another day.

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

So what type of heater was it?

15. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Very sad news, sorry to hear of the loss. :( Glad to hear the others seem to recovering though and good luck with Medusa whichever way it goes for her.

16. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

Im not sure what kind of heater it is but it has a dial on it for the temperature...Its Lakewood brand.

17. Merlin

But is it a radiator type heater like Infernalis posted or is there an open flame? Can you post a picture of it?

18. Merlin

19. ariesmommy

ariesmommy Elite Member

20. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I would definitely call/email the company!