This Disappears When Logged In

Right Forum? Basilisk Lizard.

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by Lyndsbelle, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Lyndsbelle

Lyndsbelle Elite Member

I am looking for anyone who has possibly raised and/or bred basilisk lizards. I have researched some on them and it will be a while before we get one, however, would like to know personal experiences with them.

Thanks!

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You do know that they need larger enclosures than a CWD right?

3. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I assume you're referring to the green (plumed) basilisk? I know someone locally who keeps them. They really like theirs, although compared to CWDs, they're quite a bit faster. They're a lot like water dragons in their care requirements. There's a bit more info here:

Basilisk Care (lizard, cage, lighting, diet, temp, water, humidity)

As for enclosure size, I've only read and heard that they don't need one that's as large as CWDs. A 55-75gal aquarium is sufficient for one adult. Google Basilisk caresheets and see what they say.

For example:

Basilisks: Captive Care and Breeding
    Basilisk Care | Reptile Care Sheets
    Reptile City: Green Basilisk (c.b. babies)

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I have heard they need it larger as they are more active and need running room. Not as tall of a cage but a longer one then a CWD. But I have never had them. Thanks for the links I have some research to do.

5. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I personally think they'd definitely benefit from a longer enclosure. These guys are the ones who are also called "Jesus Lizards" as they'll stand up on their back feet and run. It'd be pretty difficult to do that in a smaller enclosure, even if it's sufficient for thriving. If it was me, I think I'd aim for an enclosure that's similar to a CWD's, but from what I've read, it's not necessary. I'm thinking if you also took them out quite often for some free-roam time, then that might be sufficient as well.

6. Lyndsbelle

Lyndsbelle Elite Member

Ok. Not what I was hoping for, but the information from other resources is much appreciated. And Thala, I want to have a zoo (in like 10 years) so that tells you why I'm asking. It makes sense to have a longer enclosure (hence "bigger") for these guys as yes, they will run on water. But from what I have read, they run on water in the same instances that the CWD drops under water. They seem to have a lot of the same or similar requirements as the CWD. Thala, you know my opinion on personal experiences. (haha) I've picked your brain so much on the CWD! :) Anyhow. This is a project that I am hoping to do in the next few years. Maybe not breed them as I am hoping to with the CWD, but we'll see what the demand is. If anyone knows someone who has one, could ya'll pick their brains for me please?! :) Thanks!

Lyndsey

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I was reading through the really old CWD forum threads and many people suggested a 100gal aquarium or something only 4ft tall but over the years as they have become more popular and more people have studied them they realized they need a significantly larger space even with exercise time. I think this is what will come out with the basilisk, right now everyone is saying a smaller cage is fine just exercise but once they become more popular I think people will realize they need bigger. All the ones I have seen have been extremely active little critters, even more so than my cwd, which I think means they need a bigger area to play.
    Another factor is size, depending on the breed they get from 20in-36in. Now if a rather lazy bearded dragon at 18-24in can't be housed in a 55gal nor can a mildly active 2-3ft CWD why would you put a highly active lizard of same relative size in such a small cage?
    I don't know of anyone that keeps these lizards in captivity but I have seen hem in the wild and man were they entertaining. Plus they went from burrows, into trees, into and across water just playing (as long as humans stayed out of sight) so how would you be able to provide each of these areas for a good sized lizard in an aquarium?
    Reptile channel had a good article on care and breeding of them... Reptiles: Basilisk Lizard Care and Information

8. Lyndsbelle

Lyndsbelle Elite Member

Awesome, Thanks Thala! Guessing I will just have to research and maybe it's sounding like it will be similar to the Cham. :/.. Definitely only something for viewing. But if they had a non reflective one way viewing glass, then it would work. Hmm.

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

They have those decorative films you out on glass that make I look like stained glass or something but you can still see out. Also the lizards I saw where wild so they hid but if kept as pets they would eventually tame down and you might be able to hold them. They can be tamed down and aren't as delicate as a chameleon so they don't have to be a display only it depends on how you would care for them

10. Lyndsbelle

Lyndsbelle Elite Member

Random question... I have posted in Herp Awareness but I am not sure about where to post information that I find in the event that anyone wants to see what I have found and discuss it with me. I am wanting to research several species of agamidae and other lizards so that I know what I want when the time comes. Where would I put this thread?

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Herp awareness is my guess.

12. Lyndsbelle

Lyndsbelle Elite Member

MMk. Thats where I posted :). BTW Nice to know who you are finally ;). This no face business is crazyness!

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Mmk? What's that mean?

14. Lyndsbelle

Lyndsbelle Elite Member

replied to the thread "member photos". Just nice to finally see who all I"m talking to.