This Disappears When Logged In

ribbon snake

Discussion in 'Garter & Water snakes' started by samantha, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samantha

samantha Elite Member

i have a western ribbon snake, now i have read they will eat minnows, and salamanders and small frogs, is there anyhting else? he doesnt seem very interested in his minnows

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

You can try small goldfish as well, mine always seemed to go for them first. The only problem is they are not as nutrtious as other food items. Slugs are good, as are small pieces of pinkies. I never had much luck with earthworms, but they are a natural prey item.

3. samantha

samantha Elite Member

hmmm he sits in his water but doesnt touch the minnow, i dont have pinkies and goldfish available i could try worms again i guess, maybe hes just not settled yet, how long can they go with out food during hybernation?since its thast itm eof the year he may be in that mode

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Temperature more than time of year is what will stimulate him to hibernate. Whats the temp in the cage? There is a temperature range where its too cold for them to east and not cold enough to hibernate, and that will kill him. Where do you live that you don't have access to pinkies? In the wild pretty much all they eat is fish, worms, and amphibians. However, a diet of minnows in cativity will lead to a fatal thyamine deficiency eventually. If you can, order frozen pinkies. They're the healthiest thing you can offer him, but you may have to "train" him to accept them.

5. samantha

samantha Elite Member

well my room stays 80 through the day and 75 at night farenhite. i found him while out on a walk and he was injured, we were in the middle of a warm day after a freezing day, and the temp was going to drop again that night so i brought him in to make sure he would make it through the winter, it looks like somehting bit onto him a couple times, i plan to let him go in the spring. i am not sure if my gramma will buy frozen pinkies, and im also not sure how to train them to eat them? i feel bad now i hope he doesnt die.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.