This Disappears When Logged In

Ri!?!?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by KelloggCornsnakes, Aug 11, 2015.

1. KelloggCornsnakes

KelloggCornsnakes Established Member

@CrazySnakeLady

Agreed. He seems to be doing better already after the hotter temps and Vicks treatments ^^

CrazySnakeLady likes this.
  2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

What is a Vicks treatment? I've never heard of this to treat an RI in a snake. @KelloggCornsnakes

3. KelloggCornsnakes

@mshrmheadcharge

It's just putting them in a plastic tub, with a hot cup of a little bit of Vick's Vapor Rub (used to treat stuffy noses and coughing/sneezing, colds) in a separate tub and letting them breathe it in. Some people put the vapor rub in the Zoomed humidifier, but we don't have one.

4. mshrmheadcharge

What? Not to be rude, but if your snake has an RI, your'e gonna need more than vapo rub and hot water to cure it. He would need to see a vet. Not to mention how dangerous it is to put a (little?) corn snake in an enclosure with a hot mug of water. What if he spills the hot water? Or the cup could land on him.

5. KelloggCornsnakes

@mshrmheadcharge

He's placed in a smaller tub inside a larger tub. The vapor rub is in the larger tub so there's no way he can reach it.

I've raised his temps and completely cleaned his enclosure (new bedding, cleaned terrarium walls/floor, cleaned hides and decorations). I got rid of the moss and everything is clean and dry. He seems to be getting better, I started finding ways to help him the first day I noticed he made a popping sound. I haven't noticed any symptoms since I started raising his temps and such. He ate his mouse normally, and I didn't notice any popping or open-mouth breathing since c:

He's hiding now because he's going to shed in a few days, plus his enclosure is a bit different to him with the new substrate and no more moss hide. Hopefully he sheds normally and has no symptoms when I can check on him ^^

If I notice any symptoms at all after he sheds, we're going to take him to a vet.

mshrmheadcharge likes this.
  6. mshrmheadcharge

Ohk, good! I don't know if vapo rub really works on a snake? I have seriously never heard of this until now. Where did you get this idea from?
    For some reason I thought you said mug of water, sorry for the confusion on my end. I am mostly just amazed that anyone has tried this on their snake.

7. KelloggCornsnakes

@mshrmheadcharge

Well I saw it on the ball-pythons.net forum, and then saw that some breeders do something similar with f10c vet disinfectant. It kinda makes sense that it would work, since it is used to clear mucus and phlegm XD

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Reptile systems are far different than mammal systems and I would never just try something based on it being on the internet! I have been doing this a very long time and have seen a lot of cock-a-mamie ideas suggested. I would not recommend doing this unless authorized by a qualified Herp vet!

Raising the temperature a few degrees is standard treatment for minor RI. Advance RI will require antibiotics.

And F10 is a veterinary disinfecting cleaner and has nothing to do with treatment of an animal

mshrmheadcharge likes this.
  9. mshrmheadcharge

“We showed in the lab that Vicks VapoRub produced changes consistent with inflammation and increased mucus in animals with pre-existing airway inflammation similar to that seen with a respiratory infection,” says Bruce K. Rubin, MD, MBA, chair of the department of pediatrics at Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine in Richmond.
    Seems like you should hold off on the vapo rub

10. KelloggCornsnakes

Hmm. Maybe. But where did you find that from?

11. KelloggCornsnakes

Kellogg started shedding today! I checked on him earlier today and I didn't hear any popping and I didn't see him breathe with his mouth open at all. Hopefully he's better!

CrazySnakeLady likes this.