This Disappears When Logged In

Ri!?!?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by KelloggCornsnakes, Aug 11, 2015.

1. KelloggCornsnakes

KelloggCornsnakes Established Member

My poor baby might have a respiratory infection! I took him out of his enclosure to crawl around the bed and he made a little popping sound 2 or 3 times. He was acting perfectly normal, eating normal. Could this be caused by too much humidity? He does always lay in his humid hide all the time. Basking spot is around 80-90 depending how hot it is outside that day... I'm going to put him in a tub with vapor rub and eucalyptus oil later. That's said to treat it completely, if he does have RI. :/

Should I keep his humidity down as well?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2015
  2. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

Did you see any discharge from his nose? Sometimes just drinking/going through water or shed can cause some popping. As long as he isn't drooling, bubbles, discharge on the nose, he probably is okay. But keep a close eye that those things don't start happening

3. KelloggCornsnakes

No discharge. It's possible he could have had a drink of water soon before I took him out... I picked him up and observed him carefully before I put him back in his cage. Should i remove his humid hide and put it in only when he's getting ready to shed? Or mist it less often just in case?

@CrazySnakeLady

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

My guess is he is fixing to shed. There are scales in the nose that shed as well and can frequently cause a popping sound.
    DO NOT use Vapor rub or eucalyptus oil. These are snakes, not mammals. Trying to go home remedy can kill your pet.

mshrmheadcharge likes this.
  5. KelloggCornsnakes

I wouldn't put it on him, the link said to put them in a tub, with the vapor rub and eucalyptus oil in a separate bowl with warm water, to the the box humid so we just breathe it in. But ok. Hopefully you're right about the shedding.

Is it possible he could have had a hair on his nose? He was in my bed so there's a lot of cat hair, lol.

@Merlin

6. Merlin

The hair should not be an issue. And you have to be careful with internet. Anyone can post anything!
    You find a lot of false and downright dangerous info out there.

7. KelloggCornsnakes

He is due for a shed anytime now, so hopefully you're right!

@Merlin

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Sounds as if it is a pre shed issue, and not at all unusual. And I will second what Merlin said, absolutely do not use those things on your snake. That site should only be noteworthy for how bad the advice is.

9. CrazySnakeLady

I don't think you need to remove the humid hide, especially if he is due for shed. Are you misting his tank and he has the humid hide?

10. KelloggCornsnakes

Usually. I only mist it once every day or so, so it shouldn't be too bad. I bet it would be a good idea to switch out the moss anyway, just to be sure it doesn't have bacteria in it.

@CrazySnakeLady

I took him out today and he didn't make any sounds, but when I put him back in his enclosure and checked on him about half an hour later he was burrowing, which he doesn't normally do anymore.

He's due for a shed anytime now but he hasn't gone in blue yet (he usually hides for a week before a shed). I'll see if the sound is gone after his shed but if he still makes the sound before or after his shed we might need to go to a vet... I really do hope he's ok. I've had enough with sick reptiles...

CrazySnakeLady likes this.
  11. CrazySnakeLady

He should be fine from what you say. If you're really concerned, I would suggest don't mist + the humid hide. Maybe just when he goes blue. The humid hide should be enough.

12. KelloggCornsnakes

I'll do that. Should I raise the temp? It's always around 85 in the basking area but I don't want it to get too hot.

@CrazySnakeLady

13. CrazySnakeLady

No, that temp is perfect. If he does make more noises, then bumping it up a few degrees can help to curb the illness, but for now, he's good. :)

14. KelloggCornsnakes

Ok thanks! I'll keep a close eye on him.

15. CrazySnakeLady

Keep us updated please! :)

16. Merlin

And as far as humidity goes. Corns are native to the southeaster part of the US and experience some pretty high humidity but not as a steady thing.

17. KelloggCornsnakes

He's been hiding for 2 days now, so hopefully that means he's going in blue and not getting sick. I didn't see him getting dull though, so I don't know if he's going to shed or...

Tomorrow is feeding day so if he eats, I don't think he's sick.

Oh dear. He was out drinking water and when he was done for a little bit he was opening his mouth a little bit. I'm doing the thing I said before, but a little different (following the guy from snakebytes TV on YouTube, forgot his name)

Just to clarify, he didn't stop opening his mouth right after drinking water. I held him and he kept doing it. We might buy the vet disinfectant f10 sc and or a humidifier.

Sorry for the spam of posting but I'm just really angry that my bby is sick.

We're going to buy aspen bedding for him tomorrow, that way his bedding is totally fresh and clean plus he can burrow in it. I'll also totally scrub his enclosure down to make its completely clean and germ free. I'll also increase his heat lamp a bit to give his immune system a boost.

We cleaned his enclosure and got him fresh bedding. We did the Vicks treatment again (which I researched, other people have done it and it hasn't harmed their snakes, only helped), and I didn't hear him make sounds of open his mouth at all, which is good.

18. CrazySnakeLady

Can you see inside his mouth or do you know how to look? If theres lots of bubbles in the throat area, that usually means he has an RI. Snakes usually have bubbles around there so just because you see a few does not mean anything. The humidifier would make the RI worse, keep the humidity down. Could you also explain the open mouth thing in a little bit more detail? Was there any noises/drool? All these things happening to him and not being able to rest can cause the illness to set in if that's what is going on.

I think the only for sure way to know if there is something serious going on is a vet.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  19. KelloggCornsnakes

@CrazySnakeLady

Didn't look in his mouth. I took the moss out of his enclosure to keep it less humid/reduce bacteria and changed him to aspen, so it's not humid.

He wasn't opening his mouth yesterday, but the day before, He would just open his mouth slightly every few seconds, looked like he was breathing with his mouth open. The only noise I ever heard him make was a popping noise, which he didn't make yesterday.

If he has any symptoms later, we'll take him to a vet. I just want to keep the stress down as much as possible.

Fed him tonight since it was feeding day. He ate his food like normal, and I don't THINK he was breathing with his mouth at all, but I left after he had eaten his food all the way so he could hide again.

But he did realign his jaw and I didn't see any bubbles on the edges of his mouth, so there certainly isn't tons of mucus.

20. CrazySnakeLady

Well it sounds like you're doing everything right. The only next step would be a vet if you start seeing/hearing too much. Hold back on any other treatments so he can calm down, digest, and shed. :)