This Disappears When Logged In

Ri Again!?!?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by KelloggCornsnakes, Oct 7, 2015.

1. KelloggCornsnakes

KelloggCornsnakes Established Member

Kellogg had RI about 3-5 months ago. I raised his temps and did a "vapor rub treatment" and he seemed better about 1-2 weeks after I noticed he was sick. We moved him into his new enclosure about a month ago. Today I changed his water and noticed he was going in blue - his eyes were dull. I also noticed that he was opening and closing his mouth. It seemed different this time though, like he was realigning his jaws a tiny bit more than breathing. I was looking at him for about a minute and he did this about 4 times.

Now, his setup. It's a front-open enclosure. Hot side (heat mat w/ thermostat) is about 85 F, cool side is room temp, about 75 F. He has 3 hides, 1 on both ends and 1 in the middle. Aspen substrate.

This might be totally unrelated, but he normally hid in his moss hide when I noticed he was sick last time. I recently put moss in his favorite hide in his new enclosure (3 days ago), and I just noticed him opening his mouth tonight. When I treated him for RI last time and removed the moss, he was better. No symptoms until he started hiding in the moss again.

I already raised his hot side to 90 F and I might buy F10SC Vet Disinfectant.

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Regarding the upcoming shed. Pulling and stretching at the mouth is the way they loosen up the old skin to start the shed. Sure it could also be early signs of RI but it may not. Listen to the breathing checking for gurgling and such. If all is well in a week or so the shed will happen and all will be well :)

3. KelloggCornsnakes

That makes me feel a lot better. I'll check for popping sounds. Thing is, he made the popping sounds before he started breathing with his mouth open last time. So hopefully you're right.... @DwarvenChef

4. KelloggCornsnakes

He was doing it today again. But he was mostly only opening his mouth a little bit from 1 side st each time. He's in total blue right now. Didn't hear any popping or see any bubbles or foam. Would snakes stretch their mouths that often before a shed? I mean, for multiple days, do you know? @DwarvenChef

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I never really studied my snakes individually for pre and post shedding behavior. So when they started stretching and when they shed is a timeline I'm not on point with. From blue to shed always seemed to be in the 1-2 week zone if I recall correctly.

6. KelloggCornsnakes

Kellogg shed tonight. It was also his feeding day. I fed him (he needs bigger mice! Fuzzier barely leave a bump anymore) and was looking at him before and after he ate. Didn't hear any popping and he wasn't opening his mouth anymore.

Pretty sure you were right! @DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef likes this.
  7. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Always keep an eye out for trouble so when it pops up you have plenty of time to deal with the problem.

Glad things seem to be on the mend :)

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

For whoever may read this looking for answers or whatever for they're own snake, I always look for excess saliva too in the mouth. I'm talking like the kind when they open they're mouth it stretches from top to bottom. Listen for wheezing, popping, gurgling etc.