This Disappears When Logged In

Rhino Hasn't Shed

Discussion in 'Cyclura - Rock Iguana' started by Vornadus, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Vornadus

Vornadus Member

Hi there, I've had my rhino for 4 months or so and it hasn't shed. When I got her, she was about 6 months and 8 inches. She is now about 18-20 inches. She's about 10 months old or so. The previous owner had her on Mazuri pellets and spring mix. I've mixed in kale. She seems healthy and has grown quite a bit.

Psychology: She's very active but skittish and I don't attempt to pick her up. I'm working on hand feeding and trust. She is in my living room but it's not loud outside of the TV. I moved so that could have her a bit stressed. She is a great eater and cleans her plate daily.

Skin/overall appearance : She has good skin and I've examined her several times. She is a beautiful pale blue when fired up. Lately, she appears have a duller appearance so I'm hoping it's coming soon. Her body and tail are healthy looking.

Feeding: I feed her everyday. I've just started to feed her collard greens and butternut squash. I've done reading and I find that those are repeated the most as a staple. I'm actually concerned it is a nutrition issue. However, her body shape and appearance would say otherwise.

Setup: I have her in a 4x2x2. She will be getting a 6x2x2 in September but I may wait a few months before moving her. I think she has enough space. I will build her something huge eventually.

She has a powersun on one side which gets the temp at basking spot to 110-120. Her cold side is usually 85-90. I had a 26W bulb in addition to the powersun but I felt that the temperature was too high.

Her humidity levels are in the 55% range. I've read that humidity is the least important but I want to keep it at 65% at the very least.

She has a hide but I want to include two big ones. Any suggestions?

She's on paper towel right now since I worry about ingestion. If you suggest I move to a loose substrate that's very possible.

Questions: How's the overall husbandry? How is his/her growth? Is he/she at a good size for its age? Is the shedding issue related to stress?

Discussion: I'm sorry for a long post. I want to be thorough. I suspect that she was neglected and stressed with previous owner. I am happy with her growth which is about double but I'm concerned by the shedding issue. Please let me know thoughts and suggestions!

2. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

Do you have any photos of the enclosure? Is the mvb the only source of uvb? If so I would recommend a tube style bulb covering half to 2/3 the enclosure. Otherwise it is limited while moving around to thermoregulate. Also you may want to take the cool end down a few degrees. I don't know much about these particular iguanas, but this is some info that could help with some basic issues.

Hopefully with some persistence, you will get her calmed down. The owner of bhb reptiles has one That is like a puppy dog.

3. Vornadus

Vornadus Member

I will definitely do that. The mvb is the only source but that's mainly to decrease the heat.

4. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

I found the best deal for a quality bulb and fixture at reptilebasics.com. They are the Arcadia brand.

5. Vornadus

Vornadus Member

Thank you!

6. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I thought we were talking about a rhino, not an iguana. I was thinking 18-20 inches seems alittle small for a rhinoceros. I was reading where you said "I don't attempt to pick her up" and I was like "duh! It's a rhino!"

In all seriousness though, the only thing I can really say is try to mix up the diet if you aren't already. Those things make good staples but the more variety the better.
    If you have growth you should have shedding. Maybe she's hiding it from you?

7. Vornadus

Vornadus Member

Understandable!

I thought about that and it's very possible.
    In her previous enclosure, she could have hid it. Is her growth alright though?

8. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Her growth seems normal to me, though I'm not super familiar with growth rates of rhino iguanas so I can't comment on that too much.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not sure about cyclura but many lizards will eat their shed skin.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Protein is protein after all. No matter how strange it may sound.

11. Vornadus

Vornadus Member

Update: She's shedding! Her skin was light for a while but it's happening!

The diet helped for sure. She is definitely pissed and less active but she's eating. Thanks for the help!