This Disappears When Logged In

Rex's New (temporary) Terrarium

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Nickysixx, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

Sorry for the bad angle but Rex's neck is turning into a beautiful yellow.

Attached Files:

2. OEW

OEW Elite Member

How cute :) I love baby dragons they're adorable. Make sure you document your build for us, it's always nice to see people's builds :)

3. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

Awesome! Make sure to research your materials (no pine, cedar, etc.) and waterproof everything! Here's a page with a description of different cage materials. I bought the plans off that site, but didn't end up using them. It makes for an interesting read though.

4. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

I will absolutely keep a post up on the build. Here's another angle of his colors coming in :)

Attached Files:

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not true. Pine and cedar are both fine as building materials! You are going to seal it anyway. Its pine and cedar BEDDING that you have to stay away from.

6. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

Really? That wasnt the first time I was told not to use Pine or Cedar.

I leave my guys cage cracked open last night (Smaller than his body) He manages to squeeze out over night and go over to my hamper and fall asleep bundled up underneath my moist towel from my shower last night.. Devilish little guy.

7. OEW

OEW Elite Member

Oh my! Lol. At least you found him. These guys seem to always be looking for an escape route.

8. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

Escape artists they are! I noticed last night he was a bit antsy too. Unusally lunging his way trying to get out. Develish little guy.

9. OEW

OEW Elite Member

Yesterday I was cleaning my guys cage and he was just staring at me and staring at me. Next thing I know he's crawling up my arm and was about to jump off my shoulder. >:) Ninja dragon. Now he knows what his perfect escape route is

10. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

Haha, I could totally see my little guy doing this. He's sneaky like that.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Unfortunately thats how these things go.
    Someone is told that those woods are not acceptable as bedding. So they then make the (false) assumption that it also means that you can't use them for building.
    Then they tell someone who accepts it as fact. And then they tell someone. And so on, and so on.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well honestly it wouldn't be the best wood to use if you don't seal the cage...but you have to seal it so it makes it safe. My cage is made completely out of pine plywood and frame.

Tai has tried to escape a few times mostly when idiots try to get him out to show others (he isn't tame and hates being held) then he escapes and runs up arms and people start freaking out which scares him and makes the dogs excited. So then you end up with a lizard running around the house attack everything, including the dogs, people and dogs running after the lizard, even more people running after the dogs...after the first time this happened I put a hasp on the cage with a lock. The second time it happened I switched the lock to one of those dial locks for lockers and change the code every two weeks.
    Now he does like to be mischievous though. Lots of time when I am cleaning his cage I first gently encourage him onto his basking platform and out of my way. He usually stays their and gives me the evil eye but occasionally he will jump onto my head when I am bent over and will lay down and dig his claws into my scalp. Or if he is on his highest branch and I get too close he smacks me with either his hand or his tail until I am finished and move away.

On a side note before people comment on the dogs. When cleaning cages I put a tall baby gate up so they can't get into the reptile room. When the cages aren't being cleaned the dogs have free roam but all lizard cages are either locked or sealed with Velcro so they can't escape. The only cage without a lid is the 500 but no dog can get in it and the turtles certainly aren't gonna climb out.

13. OEW

OEW Elite Member

That made me laugh Lol!

14. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

His story about him chasing the dog made me die laughing. On the side note, I gave Rex a bath!!! I heard it helps with his shedding. Plus he was extremely calm when he was done.

Attached Files:

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Her story. I am a girl.

Rex has some nice weight and definition to him. I rarely see new owners with such healthy looking dragons. Congrats.

16. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

Pretty little dragon you got there! Give him a water dish that's big enough for him to submerge himself in it and he'll take care of his own baths. I went through several of the Zoo Med Repti Rock bowls as my dragon got bigger. As you can see in the picture I posted earlier, I had a huge corner water dish in my enclosure by time he was ready to move. Anyway, my dragon goes down and plays in the water first thing every morning. They like to be able to stand up in it with their heads above water, so don't go too crazy. If you put it on the hot side, it will help to drive up your humidity too. I actually bought a tank stand and put an undertank heater on my hot side and put the water dish on top of it. With reptile carpet as a substrate, that got the water temperature up to the mid 80's. Oh I also put a little frog (sphagnum moss) around the dish when he was younger to both hold humidity and give him a way to climb into the dish easier. I use the Zoo Med Repti Safe turtle water conditioner in my water. Yes I'm a Zoo Med freak! lol

17. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

I apologize for that, hard to tell from just a name :) thank you so much. I read for three weeks if not more about how to take proper care of them. I'm so meticulous about his care. I had anoles for a year before I gave them to a friend and they were a great training prior to getting him. Helped me learn how to keep humidity and heat.

Thank you! I have a water dish for him that allows him to submerge about half way if not just above his back. He usually goes to his water fountain and take a drink and let the water bounce off his back. I gave him the bath to let him soak for a bit because I heard it helps with the shedding. It actually knocked a lot of the stragglers that were half way off already.

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Bath will also give these guys extra exercise which is a good thing.

19. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

So I came home and Rex's tail is looking funny. Is his tail normal? As you can see it comes down and makes a hook kind of shape.

Attached Files:

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It looks fine its just how he is holding it.