This Disappears When Logged In

Rex's New (temporary) Terrarium

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Nickysixx, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Its probably the stress of a new environment. Give him a few days to get used to the new environment. During this time dont handle him just let him be.

2. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

I let everything run for about a week before moving my water dragon. During that week, I brought him to the new enclosure and fed him several times. The last time, he seemed really comfortable and wanted to explore, so I let him stay. I moved over a few "toys" from his old aquarium...log hide, basking stick, and some plants. He was good to go!

3. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

Okay! Thanks! I picked him up today for 5 minutes while I made some minor changes

Rex cage at night with the new fogger. Getting vines for him to climb tomorrow.

Anyone know why he hangs out around the perimter of the cage? I put up felt walls around the inside about 6" up and he just climbs up the.

Attached Files:

4. OEW

OEW Elite Member

He might think it's a way out or something. They tend to not "understand" glass. When mine was in a glass tank, I put up a border along the bottom on the outside and he would stretch his neck as much as he could to look out and try to smash his snout... Lol. But maybe you could put the felt or something else on the outside instead so he can't climb up it... Other than that the only thing I can think of is maybe temps are off so he stays along the edges to be cooler?

5. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

Temperatures have been on cool side about 80 and warm side about 86-88 whole tank stays atleast 50% humidity. I put felt on the outside and it's working a bit better but he still hangs out around the perimeter.

6. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

I'd pick up some aquarium background and completely cover the back and sides. Then put it at least 6 inches high across the front. In fact, you could make the front about a foot high and then trim it down as it gets settled into the enclosure. Putting lots of stuff along the walls helps a lot too. I had lots of the suction cup vines up front on mine to deter him from jumping into the wall. I also had a heater on the side that made a reflective spot, so I ended up putting a vine over it too.

7. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

I bought Rex a new vine and put him on it and he seems to like it. Hope he looks healthy!

Him just sitting around the edge. I bought another type of gauge to accurately test the temperature. And it's spot on. I don't know what to do :(

Attached Files:

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Dont worry its normal. They see the wild world and want to explore but cant quite figure out how. Tai does it as well see: 137.jpg

9. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

It's normal for him to do it all the time? He's staring at green felt. I don't want him to hurt his snout.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yeah it's normal. They damage the snout by rubbing or banging their nose on the glass. Does he do this?

11. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

He kinda just runs the perimeter of the tank sometimes with his nose touching it. In going to get more vines and stuff to put in the way today

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That will help and having alot more stuff to climb will help as well.

13. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

Came home on lunch to see if he was using the new vine I got him and tada! It's about 88 degrees underneath where he is and 46% humidity.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  14. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

Minor changes :) he's much happier now.

Attached Files:

15. Tired

Tired Elite Member

Nice looking enclosure! Prepare yourself for that fogger to break!

16. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

Thanks! Haha, I know I'm scared everytime I come home.

17. Tired

Tired Elite Member

Thats like me with my basking bulbs haha :)

18. OEW

OEW Elite Member

I haven't had much trouble with my fogger yet... I was scared to death it was going to break since everyone seems to have more trouble than luck with them. But..knock on wood, still going strong. I even was using it 24/7 for a while, something they say not to do. Now I let the humidity drop a bit at night by just misting a tiny bit after the lights shut off and shutting the fogger off... And I make sure I only use distilled water. Heck, at work we had one set up for a display tank for a few months and didnt even use distilled water, just dechlorinated tap, and it still works, and the thing was constantly on, and poked and prodded by customers constantly. Luck of the draw, I guess.

19. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

I had picked up a Safety First Ultrasonic Humidifier for my big enclosure, but it turned out I didn't need it. It worked really well though. It put out a steady fine mist and I was up to 99% humidity in no time. I would have definitely had to put it on a timer! The best part is they only cost $30 at Target.
    11268317.jpg

20. Nickysixx

Nickysixx Elite Member

In about 2 weeks - 3 weeks I will be building his Large Enclosure :) 4'Wx2.5'Dx6'H