This Disappears When Logged In

Retirement Hobbies

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Dragoness, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Pewter (16).jpg Fireboy (8).jpg Firegirl (10).jpg Lemonade (9).jpg Ever since I decided on a whim to peruse Craigslist, and ended up getting that Pied Ball, my mom has decided that her retirement hobby should be snake breeding.

But her husband isn't keen on snakes in their house. So it will all be taking place at my house.

In other words, she decided to pitch some money towards investing in snake morphs she wants to work with. She is mostly interested in the morphs derived from Cinnamons, Pewters, Mojaves, Fires, and a small handfull of others. I want to play with pieds, axanthics, albinos and leucistics primarily.

With that in mind, we went to a show today. We came home with a pair of Fires, and albino and a pewter. Nobody had any axanthics...

Rich likes this.
  2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Nice grabs! I will need to create a nice classifieds for the site so breeders will have another venue of selling their breeding successes.

lizardhoarder139 likes this.
  3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Nice to actually see them now. I knew you were busy while there, lol. Nice looking bunch, now it's time to start building some more racks. And as of right now we are supposed to bengoing to Tinley Park, and we'd be day-tripping it on Saturday, if you'd want to ride along. Somebody there would have axanthics.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The March14-15 show? I'd have to check the calendar at work, but pretty sure I am locked in for that weekend.

I plan on calling or e-mailing some of the vendors for the taylor show to see if they can bring me anything the next time I am able to go.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Well that's too bad, but let me know. It's not 100% on us going yet, but we normally do. And I will keep my eye open for you too.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Cool - It seems to be difficult to find normal axanthics. Found a few places with axanthics with other traits as well, but I don't want/need any of the other traits I have found paired with it - especially if it is going to triple the price.

Darkbird likes this.
  7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I just want to say having a mom that wants to pursue snake breeding is TOTALLY AWESOME.

Darkbird likes this.
  8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No kidding! My mother would leave a mom shaped hole in the wall!

9. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

My mom is like most of my friends. She's fine as long as they are in their cages. Of course I have that one friend who has to work hard to pretend they're not there.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2015
  10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Yeah, I think it'll be a lot of fun. We are both going to purchase morphs we want to work with, and come up with breeding plans. I have already spoken with a few other people about trading offspring so we don't have to inbreed the lines we are working with.

11. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I grew up with a mother who owned 2 iguanas, so reptile were the norm for me. I "cared for" numerous species of salamander, frog and toads from the time I could start collecting. I got my first snake (a garter) at age 6 (wild caught). It resided in an enclosure that my father built me. I was introduced to the reptile and amphibian world from the start. ;)

Darkbird likes this.
  12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My mom comes from a LONG line of ophidiophobes. I found that out the hard way when I was young, and took a very realistic toy snake to a family reunion, and pranked some aunts. I'm surprised no ambulances had to be called. When I first got my first snake (Ball Python, about 10 years ago) she wanted nothing to do with it, and only let me bring it home when I threatened to turn myself out homeless. Sinthia was to be kept under lock and key at all times.

Then my mom hit menopause, and I came home from work one day, and she had Sinthia draped over her shoulders.

I asked her what was going on, and her reply was:

"I was having a hot flash. Sin and I are being mutually beneficial."

I laughed my butt off, and my mom has grown more and more attached to her 'grand snakes' as the time goes on. She actually purchased the pied, and suggested we start breeding.

Darkbird likes this.
  13. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

That is so very funny. You must have been shocked by the sight.

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I was shocked and a little worried.

Now she is the only person I trust to care for them all when I am out of town.

BrownFoundling likes this.
  15. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Your a very lucky man sir. It was almost the opposite in my house.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! My mother tolerated pretty much anything I brought home...but NO snakes in the house!
    The garage was another matter.

Darkbird likes this.
  17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Well, this having reptile shows once a month could be dangerous.

Today's acquisitions:
    Mojave (female)
    Mojave female (2)sm.JPG
    VPI axanthic (female)
    Axanthic female sm.JPG
    Cinnamon (male)
    Cinnamon male (1)sm..JPG
    Lesser (female)
    Lesser female (1)sm.JPG
    Lesser (male)
    Lesser male sm.JPG

18. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

And so the addiction progresses. Wanna go to Tinley in October? Lol.

19. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Ha ha, progress.

Attached Files: