This Disappears When Logged In

Reticulated Pythons

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by mambaman, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

Hello. I am wanting to buy a tiger, super tiger, or albino reticulated python. I have owned large snakes before... I am just wanting to know a little bit about their temperament and you all's experience with them. I have heard both good and bad about retic's temperament.

Thanks.

2. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Hi!!! I'm glad you are asking before you buy. I however know almost nothing about these snakes. Someone will get here soon to help! :)

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

All I know about retics is their size. those snakes can get 30 feet (or in rare cases, more) and are the only species with a documented record of eating human beings.

4. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Although I'm sure other ones have...the only one documented. What other snakes have you owned?

5. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

Milk snake, 2 ball pythons, 2 red tail boas, and 3 burmese pythons.

6. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Take a look at this care sheet Reticulated Python Care

Should help a little Also take a look at previous threads.

7. nrfitchett4

nrfitchett4 Guest

I'm sure their not too much different than burmese. I heard both are docile and that both can take your arm off if they smell food.
    Wonderful creatures that will never be in my house.

8. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

They are different...Rectics are KNOWN for their temperament/attitude. Burmese pythons get to 20 feet. these can reach 33 feet. That is a big difference. Other than that I don't know anything about them really. Someone should be here soon that has owned them.

9. savannahmon181

savannahmon181 Elite Member

I have had two a male and female,, same with burms and its just the snake personality some are nice some are not. If you buy a hatchling(which I recommend) you can tame it your self and as long as you handle it every day to keep it tame. Then you should have no prob. You will know if the snake is a aggressive one or not way before it reaches 30 ft. And you have experience with big snakes already you should be fine.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have no doubt that there are more - considering especially that many of the countries which have large snakes are undeveloped, and may not have kept records of such things. Anaconda attacks are well-documented, I have no doubt in my mind that a few tribes-people in some of the poorer and less developed areas have lost a few to the odd anaconda, but never bother to notify the outside world (what incentive do they have really?)

They have pictures of retics though, with people in their mouths (or at least the beginnings). Quite a bit to see. They are beautiful snakes, but I don't think I'd ever want anything bigger than a burmese. I Leave that to you ambitious people. I'm just glad you're taking time to do some research before you get into such a big project.

11. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Hey Briana, please read a bit more on retics.

Retics rarely reach 30 foot. Most average size for them are 17 to 23 foot. Yes they can reach 30 foot but that is in a rare case. Lets take a look shall we, Bob Clark's Fluffy. She is 12 years old and weighs 310 pounds and is 22 feet long. Also there was another one I forget the name, as it escapes me now. She too was only 22 feet long.

The males are generally shorter than the females, by a foot or two.

Also most retics all I have handled and messed with. Including mine that I kept, had a puppy dog temperament. The only time he ever bit me was due to the fact he was hungry.

The difference in temperaments is that of a WC retic, they are generally worse and more aggressive than CB ones. It would be you best bet to get a baby retic. That way you can get it under control and get it hooked trained.

Also a snake that no matter if it is captive or wild caught, it will always be aggressive are African Rocks. They are down right mean.

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I believe it is only the wild specimens that reach lengths of 30+ feet. And due to the skin trade (wild retics are somewhat endangered) they do not get very big at all anymore.

13. MoogleBass

I would kill for a few WC retics. Just because some are so awesome.

14. Josh

Josh Elite Member

every retic I have met has been a sweetie here is a pic of me with mine she is now pushing seven feet and she is just a sweet heart and being you have experience with large snakes I would have to say go for it these snakes when taken care of properly are very rewarding and an amazing challenge that you must be sure you are ready for
    [​IMG]

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Is there still a trade in WC retics? I though that was restricted.

16. MoogleBass

Depends.

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I know we have a few retic skins (leathers) at work that are on loan from US Fish & Wildlife that were seized as they were being smuggled in. I'm not sure how old they are though, now what the laws on that species are nowadays.

18. StiffyG123

StiffyG123 Elite Member

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That was proven to be a hoax. They used trick angles on the pictures.

20. StiffyG123

StiffyG123 Elite Member

Are they still the biggest snakes in the world though?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.