This Disappears When Logged In

Rest in Peace Presh.

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by annarawrr, May 9, 2012.

1. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I came home from college this afternoon and said hi to all my babies, and then went to check on my water snake Preshuz. I was shocked to find him lying deathly still under his rock. Some maggots were congregating around his stomach and I'm not sure if they were parasitic or not because I checked on him two days ago and they weren't there. I tried to pick him up and his skin and scales just slid right off him. He never showed any sign of sickness before this. He was being eaten alive and his skin was already decomposing and I made the decision right then and there to put him out of his misery. There are no vets open now (it is nearly 6pm) so I have to do it myself as I know he will not make it through the night. I know it's controversial but I have done some reading on reptile euthanasia and so I am cooling his body temperature to help him fall asleep. I have read this method can be painful to larger animals but since he is a very small snake this is unlikely to be the case; his brain will stop functioning long before he actually starts to become frozen. Just for reference here is a thread I read a while ago regarding the matter. If you would like to discuss this method of euthanasia, let's please start another thread because I have made my decision and I want this thread to be about my baby.

Anyway, Preshuz was a sweet and gentle snake. He was my first herp and he was fully grown when I received him. He loved to escape from his tank but he never bothered to hide so finding him wasn't a problem. I remember opening the box he was in (I received him in the mail) and thinking what a perfect little guy he was! I was crazy about him! Preshuz was the one that started it all, he got me hooked on herps and after him came several others. It was because of Preshuz that I even joined HC! He could never hurt a fly although he did nip me one time when he thought my hand was food! He was so beautiful and absolutely adorable, it was such a joy to have him with me. Every couple weeks he would change colour from a deep chocolatey brown to silvery grey. I never knew what was up with that but it is interesting to note that another snake from the same genus can undergo colour changes too! I hope that when he awakens over the rainbow bridge in the morning he will not hold this decision against me. Maybe he can say hi to K'nuckles for me too. I did what was best for him and I will always love him. Rest in peace Preshuz. You will always live on in my heart.

tumblr_m3r0y15BNM1qbkaxv.jpg

Attached Files:

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Anna, I'm so sorry to hear about Preshuz! He was indeed a gorgeous snake and I know how much you loved him.

RIP little guy

3. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Thanks Michele. I'm feeling extra horrid now because my boyfriend thinks I should have taken him to the vet. He was literally decomposing and being eaten alive. I would have done anything if I thought he had a chance but I knew he didn't.

4. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I'm sorry for your loss. It is so odd what happened to him, hopefully someone can help figure that out.

5. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I'm hoping so too. I can't even begin to understand it, but I'm thinking parasites of some sort. He is such an uncommon snake so I doubt anyone else on here would have experienced the same thing. My other herps are perfectly fine so I have my fingers crossed it wasn't anything infectious.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

7. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

It's possible, but after I posted that I found that it wasn't white spot fungus. I spoke to an owner of the same snake on a different forum and he told me it's normal for them to develop a few white spots between their scales before shedding. And sure enough he did shed, and he was perfectly fine until he became a bit more sluggish recently. This was after I moved him to the terrestrial setup (I think I mentioned that in the thread too) but I assumed it was because he was just adjusting because before this he was in water 90% of the time. Plus I don't think white spot fungus causes the flesh to decompose!! I could be wrong, I'll read up about that in a bit.

8. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I am sorry for your loss Anna, it was really neat to learn about him. Rest in peace little Preshuz. Sometimes there is nothing much we can do for our animals, and the humane thing to do is help them pass on.

9. T42D1T4L14N

T42D1T4L14N Elite Member

Wow, Anna Im so sorry for your loss. Your a very strong person for doing what needed to be done. Im not sure I would have been able to handle something like that. I hope your able to find out what happened. R.I.P Preshuz

10. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Thanks both of you :) It's very painful having to put one of my animals to sleep myself but I couldn't let him live like that for even one more night. At least he gets to go in his sleep.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Anna I am sorry to hear this and so sorry that you had to go thru it.

However, as much as I hate to do it, I cannot allow the comment about using freezing the snake as an acceptable form of euthanasia to stand lest someone else reading this think that it is the appropriate thing to do.
    At one time, at least a decade ago it was ASSUMED that the cold would just put the reptile to sleep painlessly. This is no longer beleived to be true. Any one who argues that it is is way behind the times.

That said, this post is about your loss and that is the last that will be said about the euthanasia subject. If anyone wants to discuss it please start a new thread.

12. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I understand Merlin. But I agree with plenty of the points in the thread I linked in my first post (It was only posted last year and I read the whole thing) as well, both to and for this method of euthanasia. Regardless, I still feel terrible this happened and so I'd really rather not get into it.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And so it will be.
    Any further discussion of euthanasia which is posted in this thread will be removed.

14. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Thanks Merlin :)

15. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry for your loss :(

16. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Anna I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

17. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

What a horrible and scary thing to come home to. :( Sorry to hear of your loss.

18. pjrojo

pjrojo Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm so sorry to read about your loss, I woke up Sunday morning to find my 7 month old Gree Tree Python at the bottom of her enclosure not moving and I have no idea how or why, I'll keep a good thought for you and your's and my Presh RIP

19. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Thanks everyone. My boyfriend is very attached to him too so we are trying to cope with his loss. And Rojo I read about that, I'm so sorry that happened to you too. It's tough but all keepers of all animals have to deal with this at some point, some of us much sooner than expected.

20. Midori

Midori Elite Member

I am so sorry about your loose. Poor dear thing. Is it possible to have someone do a necropsy?

I think I'd do it for peace of mind if possible. With other herps in the household...