This Disappears When Logged In

Rest in Peace Little Mango :(

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by SixToedFreak, Mar 28, 2012.

1. SixToedFreak

SixToedFreak Well-Known Member

Today was a very sad day. When I woke up and went to mist my crested gecko's enclosure, I found her laying on the floor with her mouth gaping. She wasn't moving, but when I misted her mouth opened a little wider and then went back to how it was. Unfortunately, I had to leave for school so I had no time to investigate what was going on. I was upset all day and had the worst feeling that she'd passed away. My suspicions were right as I found her lying on her side with her legs straight out and looking very skinny. I have no idea how this happened! She was fine last night and even finished a shed earlier this week. I misted regularly, temperatures were always in the 65-70 range, and she's been fed CGD since she arrived. She was only about a year old. What could have caused this? :(((

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

So sorry to hear about Mango, wish I had the answers for you! :( RIP little one.

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Wow, what a horrible thing to come home to. I have absolutely no experience with geckos so I am unable to help figure out the problem except to say, sometimes seemingly perfectly healthy pet pass. That said-- Rest in Peace, Mango!

4. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

So sorry to hear of your loss. :(

5. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

I'm sorry for you loss of little Mango. :(

Only a vet can tell you what happened if you do a necropsy, but even then there are things that can't be determined.

I have had a few deaths similar to what you describe, and I've attributed them to a heat spike combined with dehydration. Dehydration is always a concern for my climate (Arizona) and I just had a run of bad luck and didn't provide water bowls. Since making sure that everyone always has water available, I haven't had a similar death. However, sounds like your temps were normal.

It could also have been a disease, parasite or respiratory illness. If she hasn't been with you for long, there could have been a nutritional deficiency in her past. Sometimes things just happen. :(

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

sorry about your loss