This Disappears When Logged In

Respiratory Infection Symptoms

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by faynce, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. faynce

faynce Member

Howdy,

My 3-year old Sumatran blood python has been having symptoms of a respiratory infection. She wheezes, foams at the mouth (sometimes in very large quantities) and breathes with her mouth open. I took her to my vet, who x-rayed her. He saw nothing unusual. He gave her antibiotics. Nothing changed. We took her back and he gave her antibiotics so strong that it left sores and eventually scars on the injection sites. Nothing has changed as far as the symptoms.

That was a year and a half ago. Could my snake be allergic to something not have a respiratory infection? Could it be anything else? Please help! The nearest exotic vet besides the one I took her to is over two hours away.

Thanks,

Erik

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Welcome to HC. You stated that this was a year and a half ago ? Get a new vet ASAP. Let me know where you are located and I'll let you know of the closet herp qualified vet.

3. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

My snake has RI and doesn't foam at the mouth. I'm not really sure other than go to the vet which ken is already getting. Good luck though!

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I haven't heard of an RI lasting that long, but then I haven't heard much about them, and have never had one yet *knock on wood*

Get to a good herp vet as soon as you can. Many vets say they will take herps, but many of them can not tell you one end of the snake from another. Be sure your vet knows what their herps.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm with Ken, you need another vet!!!!

6. faynce

faynce Member

Thanks! I live in Marion, NC, about thirty miles east of Asheville.

-Erik

7. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Welcome aboard. I hope that you get to that new vet soon! Dominic may be able to help with a vet referral. I believe he lives in your area.

8. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Just DON'T let your vet give you pills for the respiratory infection. Giving them to your snake on time will be impossible...I promise. Ask him to give you shots if he tries pills. If he says no (which I doubt) tell him the snake isn't going to get the pill on time because he/she won't eat before they shed.

9. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

You are in luck, there is one in Asheville:

Lee Bolt
    Sweeten Creek Animal Hospital
    3131 Sweeten Creek Road
    Asheville, North Carolina 28803
    Phone: (828) 684-8875

10. faynce

faynce Member

Unfortunately, I'm not in luck. That's the very same useless veterinarian I took my snake to a year and a half ago. My snake was the first one he'd seen in months.

What's the nearest one after that?

Thanks,

Erik

11. venus

venus Founding Member

12. faynce

faynce Member

The nearest vet is indeed 4 hours drive round trip (in Charlotte, specifically).

The worthless Swannanoa veterinarian is listed here too. Before I spend all day and hundreds of dollars, how do I know this Charlotte guy is any better?

13. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Tell us about your set up, specifically the temps and the substrate.

14. faynce

faynce Member

I used to use Bed-a-Beast and kept the humidity quite high, but the snake kept getting scale rot over and over and over. Then I switched to Repti-Bark, but the same problem occurred, so I haven't been letting the humidity get much over 40% and have switched to a towel. In fact, this snake has always seemed to have one illness or another. I don't think the pet shot we got her at kept good care of her as a baby. When we got her home, we spent hours removing mites.

I have a heat lamp on one end of the enclosure (it's four feet long and two feet deep). That end gets over 100 degrees. The snake spends all of her time on the other end of the enclosure, which is only 65 degrees. The snake always feels cold. She refuses to be anywhere near the heated side, so I don't know how to keep her warm.

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Your warm end is way too hot! You should be looking for 92 degrees with 80 on the cool end. Apply a low range heater over the cool end to bring the temps up. That may be the source of your infection.
    What are you using to measure temperatures?
    Scale rot is usually a result of keeping a substrate too wet. Its a tricky balance. You want humidity but you don't want the snake to be constantly laying in a wet substrate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.