This Disappears When Logged In

Researching My Hunts :)

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by DwarvenChef, Aug 24, 2013.

1. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Howdy all,

This post is based on responsible field collecting. If that is not working for you please refrain from posting unless you can control yourself, no flames or spamming the evils of field collections. What I will be talking about are a group of lizards that for the most part are not being bred in captivity in any quantity (extreme low demand). So that only wild caught are available in the pet trade and I would rather travel out the location and observe them in the wild and pick my own specimens. Fun part will be buying licenses to gather for the out of state lizards... joy...

That said, I'm gathering my list of Sceloporus species I want to work with in my 6'x2'x2' habitats. In order to build them properly I need to know what ones I will be working with. So tonight I started making lists of what I wanted to see happen. Breeding observation is high on the list as well as something to look at :p

So here is a list of lizards I have on my first draft...

S. varibilis
    S. magister
    S. orcutti
    S. jarrovi
    S. cyanogenys (*)

(*)not sure if the tank will be large enough for a breeding trio.

I really don't know the logistics yet of some of these guys and the list is by all means not complete. S. orcutti and S. magister are easy as I live in SoCal, it's a weekend drive and back with a full 1.5 days of field time :) My brother in law is a rock hound so I'm sure I can con him into joining me on the trips :p

Once I have my set ups built and running I will be staking out to a hunting ground. I will also post my areas of interest so that anyone in the area could contact me for a meet and greet if they like.

So at this time does anyone live in the range of any of these lizards?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I don't believe I am within the range of ANY of them. (I'm in Michigan)

Sounds like a cool project. Even if there is no demand among collectors, Zoos may have some interest in displaying them.

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I have seen a few enclosures with sceloporus in them. I was shocked to see Yarrow's in the Fresno zoo :) But this country's herp lovers have yet to embrace to "lowly" swift with an exception going to the Emerald, which is an advance keepers lizard :p

I'd love to help it's rep but I know the avg keeper here in the states only wants a few things, flash, exotic, and wow factor. Yes that was also me in the early days but I grew out of it :p Most peeps on sites like this one have grown out of that trap as well, after 14 years in the pet trade, seeing them come in day after day leaves one a bit cynical, sorry.

Anyway :p I'd love to swap stories while out on adventures. I'm hoping this will get started in the field next year for my first trip.

4. JoshuaJones

JoshuaJones Banned User

Your best bet would be orcutti or jarrovi. The granite can be found easily in SoCal. They've got some beautiful colors. Granite outcrops are the best place to look (obviously). Be watchful for SoPac, Speckled and Red Diamond rattlesnakes. If you flip the right rocks, you can find boas, alligator lizards, and skinks, too.

The closest you'll find Yarrow's is near Tucson, AZ. Look for talus slopes in the Sky Islands region. Be careful there too, though, because they share habitat with the Twin-spotted rattlesnake. They're worth the trip, though. Photos don't do their metallic coloration justice. Just be wary of anything that looks like a Night Snake.

The desert spinies can also be very nicely colored, but they tend to live in small communities within their range. Combine that with their tendency to live in tough spots (cactus, packrat nests, etc.) and they become a pain in the butt to catch with any kind of reliability.

You shouldn't rule out clarkii, though. I've seen some beautiful all-turquoise ones that would blow your mind. Just some food for thought.;)

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Ya the color ranges in all the groups are just wild. I remember a couple decades ago (ugh) photo hunting around a local lake (pond?) and some wildly colorful S.occedentalis, just amazing

LosConaroesswift_zps404c3582.jpg

This guy was insanely colorful, infact the guy I was out collecting with that day will be here in a couple weeks... May have to drag him down there for another photo hunt :)

Attached Files: