This Disappears When Logged In

Rescued Snake Has Been Burrowed For A While. Normal?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by MadCheshire13, Jun 29, 2015.

1. MadCheshire13

MadCheshire13 Member

Hello everybody my name is Niquole and I just rescued a ground snake, now I'm a little worried about him. I rescued him twice from the same residential stray fat cat that gets fed by the neighbor lady in our complex.

The first time he was trying to escape under a building and the cat was clawing at hum. I managed to get the cat away from him and guarded while he slowly inched his way underneath the building. I didn't think anything of it, and went about my way. That was roughly a month ago and about 5 nights ago, the neighbor lady called me over because the cat was at it again with the same little guy.

This time he was just out in the open and I was able to catch him in a good size container which I then took up to my apartment to let him calm down a little bit. I put a shirt over his area and just let him be but I ended up keeping him. He has his own little terrarium now and up until about 24 hours was exploring the area, visible, or just out in general.

Now I haven't seen him at all and it's been a little over a day. There isn't any signs that he's moved a whole lot in this time frame and I'm starting to get worried that something might be wrong.

We don't think he's very old he's roughly eight and a half inches long and a little bigger in diameter than a pencil. We haven't been touching or messing with him since we've (my fiance and I) caught him. The only thing we've done is change out his water daily so that he has fresh water.

We put in a small cricket for him because we figured he was out forging for food and are unsure how long it's been since his last meal.

I'm fighting the urge to poke around to see if he still alive because I don't want to stress him out anymore than he already is. I want to give him all the time and space he needs to adapt to the environment. What do I do? My fiance tagged his home Slytherin House. So he is Rumplesnakeskin of the house Slytherin... Hahaha!

Attached Files:

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

He is quite handsome! I would think it would be okay to poke around and look for movement, but I wouldn't lift up the hide places and make him feel completely unsafe and exposed.

He could just be acclimating or he could have suffered some injury from the cat, it is hard to say.

Some critters take weeks or months to get used to captivity and some never thrive.

3. MadCheshire13

MadCheshire13 Member

Oh thank you for responding! There's no breaks in his skin anywhere or other signs of trauma. I think he just got incredibly lucky... Twice. I do hope he thrives in his new home, I figured since he's still a baby it would be a little easier. Fingers crossed for little Rumple!

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

If traumatized or injured try some slower bugs and such. Larva or the like may entice feeding and from it's size I'd be looking for small head sized foods.

I'd even try a day old pinky but that's me. Wax worms are like candy and tend to get a feeding response.

Ground snakes are less popular due to feeding issues but if he eats and keeps going :) ;)