This Disappears When Logged In

Rescued Boa, So Many Issues.

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by SSthirteen, Mar 13, 2011.

1. SSthirteen

SSthirteen Member

I wish there was a happier topic for my first post, but here goes.

I just received a boa (red tail?) from someone who could no longer care for her. I've received 4 snakes total from this person, only one of which is in perfect health. This boa is about 7 feet long, a good weight, in a glass tank with screen lid, kept on that brown "chips" bedding (will be switched to paper towels), i've given her above the tank heat, but she probably hasn't had a heat source in a very long time. She was kept out in a barn, and the previous owner left her with someone who had no snake experience and, (not her fault at all) was pouring water through the lid, and her bedding most likely became wet. This is where the problems start.

Her mouth is ajar almost constantly. I've seen her open it and it seems to be light pink/white inside. No wheezing/clicking or any of that. No mucus from nostrils. She does flick her tongue (slowly, but better than nothing). Also, i'm not the most knowledgeable snake owner ever, but i'm assuming she has scale rot. Her scales on her belly seem to have this brown/red hue in certain areas and appear jagged/crunchy. Like I said, no chance of a heat rock. I'm fairly certain she hasn't had heat in a long time.

She has this weird habit of lifting the first half of her body, almost like a cobra, and falling backward. I'm assuming this is because of scale rot, i'm sure its unpleasant to lay on her belly, but i'm also afraid of IBD. I have several other boids in my collection, which is why i'm so worried about the possibility. I've placed her on her back as best as I could (shes STRONG), but she goes back on her belly. I'm just concerned about the weird movements she makes.

Can anyone give me their opinions, after reading about her, on how likely these issues are to being mouth rot, scale rot, IBD, or something else? And if so, what to do? I contacted someone who knows the most on snakes of everyone that I personally know in my area, and he suggested plain Listerine, which i've purchased. I also have Neosporin on standby.

Thank you so much in advance for all your help.

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

It's possible she has neurotic problems from being cared for so poorly if it ends up not being IBD. I would be SCARED about IBD too!! Keep up your quarantine!! Maybe post some photos? I'm certain these poor animals will need vet care!

3. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

All of the above are possible, shcedule an exam asap, and STRICT quarenteen. You do not want to potentially spread anything to your existing animals.

4. SSthirteen

SSthirteen Member

Uploaded attachments, but I can't get them to attach to the post. I'm just going to type out Photobucket links, hopefully this works:

Edited_Photo0238.jpg

Edited_Photo0229.jpg

Edited_Photo0241.jpg

Edited_Photo0237.jpg

I'm currently looking for another vet, I took one of the other snakes I received from this person in for an RI, and they didn't seem to know what to do with him. I've called other reptile vets with no reply, but I will be trying again. I really need to get a credit card for these snakes lol.

Attached Files:

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Until you can get the snake to a qualified herp vet, it sounds like you're on the right track: they need higher temps to boost their immune system.
    Provide plenty of fresh water in a large bowl.
    I would not recommend feeding for a while.

Don't be surprised if the snake goes into repeated shed cycles: it will need to do that to heal the scale lesions.

Keeping it on paper towels is the best: it will also make it easy for you to see if there are mites.Mites can spread IBD: so keep that snake as FAR AWAY from your others as possible!

6. SSthirteen

SSthirteen Member

Thank you. I am almost positive she doesn't have mites, I recently went through a fight with them after a new addition. I still always keep Provent A Mite just in case.

What type of heat would be best? I have a heat lamp on her because I figured under the tank heat would hurt her belly pretty badly. I'm hoping she will shed soon, she does seem darker than my other boa, but that may just be her color.