This Disappears When Logged In

RES - Lighting

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Carmille, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Carmille

Carmille Member

Hi. I just bought Exo Terra 125W Solar Glo. My question is how far should I position this lamp from the tank? Should I put it straight above his basking area or somewhere where the light covers the whole tank? I believe this is mercury vapor bulb that produce all the uv & heat he needs , so I don't need to provide any other light right?

Thank you in advance!
    Carmille

2. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Check the packaging the light came in. It should have specific instructions as the minimum recommended distance to your basking site. You also need to mount it completely vertical, any angle to the bulb will significantly reduce its lifespan

3. Carmille

Carmille Member

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

4. jarich

jarich Elite Member

To be honest, and this is no fault of yours at all, but you should position it back in its box and return it. Exo terra bulbs are pretty much useless. If you want a good MVB, I would recommend a Mega Ray. Place it about 18" from your turtle's basking area. However, in the long run it may be both healthier for your animal and cheaper for you to go with a linear fluorescent tube (T5 High Output from either Zoo Med or Arcadia) for UVB and a separate halogen floodlight for heat (non reptile type, just cheap one from your hardware store will do).

5. Carmille

Carmille Member

Bummer. Pretty much everything they have are all Exo Terra products. I don't think they carry other brands. The bulb costs $100. That is expensive. I won't use it if it's useless. I don't think I can return them back but I'll ask. I'll follow your advice. I'll get fluorescent tube & halogen floodlight. I don't think I will find Mega ray, Zoo Med or arcadia products here so I just have to go for Exo Terra. At least they don't cost that much. I'm just hoping they last long. I don't prefer to buy electrical products internationally because I would need to get voltage transformer or an adapter.

I'll do my best. Thanks for your input!

6. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Ah, sorry I didn't notice before that you were in Malaysia! That does present some problems. Is it 220 or 110 v over there? If I remember right you have the same as European voltage. Is that right? If so you should have no problems buying Arcadia products online from Europe. A simple plug adapter should fit it then without the need for a voltage transformer.

If exo terra is all you have, then that's what you'll have to go with. We get a little spoiled over here for choice. What I would recommend then is getting a Solarmeter 6.2 so that you can see how much UVB your light is producing and when they stop producing it. Exo terra tend to degrade very quickly, usually around 3-6 months. The Solarmeter device will allow you to see exactly when they need to be replaced, and hopefully keep the guesswork out of it for you.

Since you have the bulb already, then use it of course. I would recommend about 12-15 inches from the basking site. However the temp you need will affect that as well.

7. Carmille

Carmille Member

Um I'm not so sure. I'll find out! Wouldn't want to burn the whole block down! I'll check out Arcadia products and see if I can use them here. Also the Solarmeter. The store will have Zoo Med products SOON. I hope I'd get spoiled for choice like you :)