This Disappears When Logged In

Reptisun 5.0, good?

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by IGGYOWNER, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

Hi. I have bought 2 reptisun 5.0 for my ig. they are 48" long and should give off enough UVB for him right? if anyone has any comments on these lights, please let me know. thanks. chris.

2. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Check out my comments on another thread.....
    http://www.herpcenter.com/showthread.php?t=11022

Some people still use the Reptisun 5.0 bulbs. They need to be replaced every 6 months to insure UVB levels to be good. The megaray is more expensive but very worth the money!!! They give off the best UVB levels to my knowledge...I use them. ....good luck

3. Tha3rdman

Tha3rdman Elite Member

Another part of the same website, geared tward tubes, here again distance & requirement:

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttubes.htm

if your using 48" tube I'm guessing your enclosure is huge . . . you should have gone with ReptileUV.com 's product longer life (ie less decay), better projection. When your 48's die in 12 months I'd consider a MVB.

4. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

sorry i made a mistake on the name i have bought the ReptiGlo 5.0. and the size of my enclosure is 4 feet by 4 feet by 6 feet tall.

5. Tha3rdman

Tha3rdman Elite Member

6 feet tall? And where is it that you have these lights how far from the "furniture" of the enclosure?

6. Tha3rdman

Tha3rdman Elite Member

What reptiles Need . . . Read Read Read then compare to what your lighting is giving at the distance you have it.

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/whatreptilesneed.htm

Ok I'll make it easy

"Iguanas appear to have requirements - and behaviour patterns - somewhere between the two. Green iguanas (Iguana iguana) have been observed to bask for long periods in full sunlight early and late in the day, when UVB levels are lower, then move to leafy shade during the heat of the day. Here they avoid the high UVB of the tropical noonday sun, which can be as high as 450 uW/cm², but they continue to be exposed to considerable amounts of reflected and diffused UVB which may reach values little different from those of the morning and evening sun in which they bask freely; levels of 200uW/cm² have been recorded.27,32

One author recommends keepers of green iguanas to make levels of at least 75-150 uW/cm² available to their animals for at least 6 hours a day, and reports that iguanas, given the opportunity to do so, choose to bask at these levels. 32,33 Another study indicates that an absolute minimum of 10uW/cm² is required for maintaining adequate vitamin D3 levels, but the author recommends that keepers aim for a gradient of 20 - 40 uW/cm² in the iguana's basking spot. 27 These levels would all be around the very minimum level a wild iguana would experience during the day, whilst in deep shade."

Quoted from : http://www.uvguide.co.uk/whatreptilesneed.htm

Basically the reccommend no less then 20-40 uW per Sqcm.

7. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

i don't have it built quite yet i am busy building it thatswhy i ws wondering. the bulbs will be inside the cage about 3" from the nearest shelf is what i am planning on doing is that all right or should i give it more room. the lights will be in the cage in an X shape at the top of the cage so they both fit. they will be going from one cornere to the other.

8. Tha3rdman

Tha3rdman Elite Member

Sorry was editing the post you replied to:

Your Repti-Glo 5.0 would need to be no further away then 10 inches. The sait above says iguanas should be allowed no higher then 150 uW sqcm. which for that bulb they whould have to lay on the bulb.

9. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

so what do u think about the three inches is that a good length away and about the positioning? i have bought them and they are 40 dollars each so i made sure that they were worth it. they come highly recommended and i know a few ppl who uses it fortheir lizard.

10. Tha3rdman

Tha3rdman Elite Member

It's not what I think please don't assume I'm experienced here, but how I interpret the data, and as far as that goes yes 3" would give you between 60 and 100 uW sq cm.

11. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

cool. thanks for the help. i will still check with some experts just to make sure though.

12. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

You wasted your money. That is the long and short of it. How do you intend to allow your iguana to get within 3 inches of the light and not have access to the light itself? The $40 you spent will need to be spent again in 6 months. You could have spent that same money, gotten yourself a quality light, and not have to worry about replacing it for a year.

You stated "i have bought them and they are 40 dollars each so i made sure that they were worth it. they come highly recommended and i know a few ppl who uses it fortheir lizard.". You didn't do much research on UV at all if you were receiving feedback that those were the lights to go with. Those lights, and the reptisun series, are no longer considered adequate lighting for iguanas now that there are better options, at affordable rates, available.

In addition to that, if you were so confident in those lights you wouldn't have posted this thread AFTER buying them to find out if they were any good. You put the cart before the horse.

You are supposed to post questions BEFORE you spend the money. You wasted 40 bucks because the decay on those lights is unreal.

13. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

sorry about the mixup i haven't purchased them yet i just got the pet store to order them.

14. Tha3rdman

Tha3rdman Elite Member

So look at the aforementioned website check out the gradients for the ReptileUV MVB's and chose one that gives you the aforementioned dosage at the level you'll hang the light. Just as an FYI the EB (external ballasted) series only raised the temps inside my terrium about 2 degrees over what it had been running with just the twin bulb 36" t-5 flourecents, now I have the EB 60w flood as well as the 36" t-5's (both mount outside). I know nothing about iguannas and temp just thought that maybe helpfull information.

15. Greg2k6

Greg2k6 Elite Member

I was trying to tell him the same but, I couldnt get through.

Seriously, get a mercury vapor bulb from reptileuv.com, more specifc,

http://reptileuv.tripod.com/SelfBallasted1.htm, it will put out more UVB rays then 4 of those fluorscent bulbs, and thats what 100$ or so w/ shipping? Compared to 50 bucks even for one bulb. Plus it gives off heat, so you can ditch those dumb UVA bulbs you get from the petstore

Well worth your money.

Oh, and just for the record, people who work in pet stores, are not experts, neither are vets, untless the specialize in iguanas and other reptiles.

16. Rich

Hello,

If you haven't purchased the bulbs yet, don't. You would be far better off ordering a bulb from http://www.reptileuv.com.

With a 6 foot tall enclosure, you could get either the Mega Ray EB or the Mega Ray SB.

I would suggest the Mega Ray SB. That is a "self ballast" light. I suggest this one: http://reptileuv.tripod.com/SelfBallasted1.htm

You could make the basking ledge at a distance of 15" from the bulbs face and your iguana would receive optimal UV exposure. The bulb also emits heat, so you will need to play with the temperatures in the enclosure to determine what other heating devices need to be in use in conjunction with the light. You WILL require additional heating elements to create the proper gradient in an enclosure that size.

You will also need to have some sort of heating element for when the lights go off. (In addition to the Mega Ray, you should look into a Halogen Flood Lamp for additional light/heat. I have been advised that the Halogens have a great color index.)

Seeing as you will need an element for night time heating, you may want to look into a Mega heat Emitter as well. If its more convienient, you can also use a ceramic heat emitter. You should use a rheostat with these devices.

For now, I would focus on ordering the SB lamp.

17. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

okay thanks for all of the very helpful info. what colors should i use for my iguana for at night? i use red but it seems he doesn't sleep all too much with that one. should i try a blue one?

18. einstein

einstein Elite Member

I don't use any color/light for my iguana at night. I'd suggest a ceramic heat emitter (CHE).

I have to also agree with everyone's recommendation to get a Megaray from reptileuv.com.

[​IMG]

19. Rich

Hello,

There is no use in purchasing one of those color bulbs for your iguanas enclosure. Those are designed for use with nocturnal reptiles so you can view them when they are most active. Iguanas are a diurnal species, so that light has no use. (It doesn't produce a great deal of heat. They omit the same amount of heat as an ordinary household bulb.

You are going to need to use a heat source in conjunction with your UV lighting. To save yourself time and money, you should invest in a non light emitting heat source like the Meaga Heat Emitter or a Ceramic Heat Emitter. Both emit heat with no light. It can be used during the day and when the lights go out, it can continue to be used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.