This Disappears When Logged In

Reptiles stolen, killed

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by Merlin, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This was posted on another list I belong to. We are spreading the news in hopes that someone will happen to know something that will bring these people to justice.
    This outrageous act just leaves me speechless.

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

WHat a shame, the frustration that poor man must feel. I hope when they catch the criminals they add even more animal cruelty charges against them.

What a waste.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats horrible!

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Terrible! I hope they catch the people who did this and punish them to the fullest extent of the law!

5. grim

grim Elite Member

id have no problems with doing exactly what those kids did to the burmese, to those kids... it is absolutely horrendous that anyone could do that to any animal, i hope those punks are found and i hope it really messes up their lives when they're prosecuted. Cmon justice system, don't let us down find those punks and nail them to walls by their earlobes

6. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

thats horrible! i hope they get exactly what they deserve!! :mad:

7. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

People that abuse animals are just weak feable minded people who can't function without feeling superiority. Unfortunately the only way they feel superior is by taking things out on animals that can't fend for themselves, these people should be taken out and forced to suffer the same way they made the animals suffer. I feel that animal lives are equally as important and valuable as humans, and should be treated as so.

Don't get me wrong, I am an avid hunter, fisherman, and animal keeper, but I believe that there should be regulations, only take what you will use, and raise what you can care for. People who hunt for the sake of hunting and knowingly kill and mame animals for no reason should be sent to a secluded island and left to die, they are not going to be functional members of society, they are of no value to anyone or anything, and they will never amount to anything that will help anything; yet all they will get as punishment is a slap on the wrist and a fine that they probably won't pay anyway, and if they do go to jail, our tax money will be taking care of the useless wastes of good air. I was alway a strong animal rights person, but after seeing what abuse has done to my iguana and dog, I would kill for 15 minutes alone in a room with the people that did the things they did to these animals.

My thoughts and prayers go out to this poor man and his animals, I hope those people that did such hanus things get what is coming to them.

8. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Thats a horrible story, and yet, it is one of many. Just this evening I was watching a guy on the news being charged with killing a little girls puppy. He was the families landlord. How someone coul;d justify the killing of an innocent animal is beyond me.

I honestly believe their need to be stiffer punishments for cruelty to animal cases. If someone actually got 5 years in prison, I think they would finally send a message that it won't be tolerated.

Its ashame that these kids can do what they want with little concequence. Where were their parents?

9. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

This is senseless. Makes me feel terrible.

A person in our city put a bag over a dogs head, tied it on with the dogs collar and threw it into a cold lake. The dog, needless to say, didn't make it. The person is still at large.

Radio stations got up in arms about it, as is alot of the city and people are actively searching for the person. I think the punishment should fit the crime. This is NO different than a murder of a helpless person, except with one thing: A dog LOVES it's caregiver to death. Imagine what went through the dogs head if it realized (which it no doubt did) just WHO was behind what was happening to it?

10. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

Sick.......In a way I hope whoever is responsible suffers and dies from a very painful and agonizingly slow death.........too bad our justice system doesn't work that way..........

11. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

There are just not enough words to describe how i feel about situations like this; it is quite simply sick. I agree with Rich that we all need stricter laws regarding crimes like animal cruelty, i have no time for people who can do such things. My heart goes out to the people who owned these animals, I can't imagine what they are going through. It's a sad world, and i hope the criminals are brought to justice in some way or form. I hope the animals that didn't make it are over the rainbow in a better place.:(

12. venus

venus Founding Member

Print Article Email Article
    Two arrests made in snake killings
    By Renée Ruelas-Venegas For the Sun-News

Roy Thibodeau takes Gloria, a 10-foot albino Burmese
    python, to the veterinarian Sept. 11 after she was
    stabbed during a burglary at Las Cruces Reptile
    Rescue. (Sun-News file photo by Norm Dettlaff)

LAS CRUCES — Two teenagers were arrested Friday for
    allegedly killing several snakes and stealing other
    reptiles from the Las Cruces Reptile Rescue more than
    two weeks ago.

The attack happened sometime between Sept. 10 and 11
    when Mike Daniels, the head of the rescue group, was
    at work. Daniels returned home to find his home in a
    shambles and more than two dozen reptiles missing.
    Some of the snakes that were left behind had been
    stabbed and least five reptiles were killed.

A mountain bike, DVDs and other items had been taken
    from the home.

Doña Ana County Sheriff's Investigator Robyn Gojkovich
    said a tip to Crime Stoppers Friday morning led them
    to the home of a 17-year-old on Missile Lane on the
    East Mesa, just two blocks from the location of the
    burglary.

Gojkovich said investigators recovered 19 turtles, the
    mountain bike and tools from the home on Missile Lane.

The investigation then took them across the street
    where they questioned a second teenager.

John Vasquez and Felix Montoya, both 17, were arrested
    after they admitted to the crime. They are charged
    with residential burglary, larceny, criminal damage to
    property, disposing of stolen property and conspiracy.

Both teenagers were taken to the Doña Ana County
    Detention Center where they are being held without
    bond.

Gojkovich said 15 missing snakes were set free into
    the desert by the teens.

Former Reptile Rescue president Roy Thibodeau said he
    was ecstatic when he learned of the arrests Friday
    afternoon.

"I was really happy," said Thibodeau. "This was
    something that should not be ignored. It was
    horrible."

13. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Well it's good that they are in custody, but I don't see any animal cruelty charges up there!

14. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Exactly what I first noticed Lacey,,,,insane.

15. Sean Boyd

Sean Boyd Elite Member

Why would someone do that??

16. Miss_Unique

Miss_Unique Elite Member

This is so cruel and terrible!!

17. SpindleHead

SpindleHead Elite Member

Prosecutors can still level animal cruelty charges against them, although they may drop those charges to get a conviction on the other more "serious" charges. I would really lke to hear their "reasoning" for doing what they did. I hope that the snakes they freed into the desert can survive although I'm sure the desert isn't exactly hospitable for some of the species stolen.

I don't wish pain and death on them, I am not that way but I do hope that the time they spend in prison opens their eyes. Maybe living like and with animals will give them better perspective on the killing of them.

18. Herpmom

Herpmom Elite Member

Oh my gosh....this is such a horrible thing to hear about !! I spent a year on a board of directors with Roy....He reminded me of Fran. The rescue was his heart and passion.

I'm glad to hear they caught the boys that did this....

19. chefthomasr

chefthomasr Member

Did anyone hear the outcome of these kids trials? Did they get animal cruelty charges as well?

I agree 100% that the punishment should fit the crime. The fact that you get more jail time and bigger fines for carrying a joint than for beating an animal literally to death.... really the laws should reflect our society's morals/ethics. I hate to think this is true of our current laws/punishments, that we don't acutally care if someone inflicts this kind of cruelty on another creature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.