This Disappears When Logged In

Reptiles in a Smoking House

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MoskiWoski, Apr 18, 2013.

1. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

This topic seems like a no-brainer. Obviously smoking is bad for everyone and everything (I am a smoker, by the way). I just would like some opinions on smoking in the room your reptile is housed in.

Right now, my ATB is in a smoke free room, and soon she will be in an entirely smoke free house. But while she is here, I would like to house her closer to the main living quarters, but am hesitant to do so. Her cage is sealed for the most part, apart from a couple gaps between doors and walls, so circulation is minimal since her humidity requirements are so high. No one would be sitting there blowing smoke in her enclosure, but I wouldn't want to risk her health in any way.

What do you think about this? Housing a reptile in a room where smoking takes place? Does anyone house their reptile in a smoking house, and have you had any problems that may be linked to this?

Any opinions are welcome.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Never really thought about it to be honest. I only smoke the occasional cigar always outside.
    Definitely with the sensitivity of frogs I would be extra careful. As far as snakes I'm sure like you say it does do harm but hard to tell.

3. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

I never really thought about it either, until I got this ATB. I guess since she's so tiny and fragile looking I'm just being extra cautious. I don't smoke a lot, but from what I understand about arboreal snakes and RI's, it's raised a red flag for me.

Thanks for your input. Appreciated as always.

4. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

My concern would be that of an RI as well, especially in snakes who are a bit more predisposed to the risk. I personally wouldn't chance it.

A friend of mine owns a bearded dragon and she and her boyfriend smoke in their house so he's exposed to it constantly. I don't know if this is related to the smoke or otherwise, but he constantly has his eyes closed and is a very inactive dragon - more so than usual for his age. He also doesn't appear to be very healthy overall, and breathes with deep gasps. IF somehow their smoking by his tank has contributed to this, that is something I'd definitely want to avoid. He's never seen the vet to be assessed to know for sure, but the whole situation raises a red flag in my mind.

5. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

It is proven that second hand smoke is bad for people, and a reptiles lungs are a fraction of the size ours are. I think it is reasonable to assume it could be a detriment to its health. Maybe put her enclosure on the floor to help?

6. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Well, before I did that, I would just leave her where she is. Right now she's on the second floor in my bedroom where it is completely smoke free. I don't smoke where I sleep. Haha. But that's not a bad idea. And once I move to my new house, the entire place will be smoke free so I won't have to worry.

You're right, if it's proven bad for people, it's definitely bad for pets. Thank you for your input.

And Cassie, you're right also. It's not worth the risk. Thank you for your input also.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Unless the air in the room looks like you set your mattress on fire I wouldn't worry too much. If you stop and consider that the cage is sealed up pretty well or you would be losing your humidity out into the room.

8. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Since we are all on this topic... can you post more pics!

9. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Merlin, I had thought about that. Her enclosure is almost completely sealed. There is no real circulation aside from me opening the doors. There's a couple small gaps between the doors, 1/16 of an inch or so, but nothing major. It was just something that crossed my mind because I would like to move her into the dining room, where she can be seen on a regular basis. She doesn't seem to have a problem with people walking by or approaching her enclosure. I just wanted some other opinions. Thanks to everyone who has replied.

DHI, I'll take some pics of the complete enclosure once I get this stand finished. I'm battling with constant rain, so doing the poly is kind of tough. I'll also take some more of her soon. It seems like she's always ready for a photo shoot. She's a show-off. Haha

Here's a quick one I snapped. I downsized a couple of her branches and she seems to like them better.

Attached Files:

10. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

I'm a smoker but don't smoke in my house because of the pets. Some of my friends do smoke in their homes but have bought air purifiers with hepa filters that they keep in front of cages to ensure air quality.

11. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

That's also a good idea. It's never really crossed my mind until recently. I was raised in a smoking house with pets, so I guess I've always just thought it was ok. The air purifier is definitely something to consider. Thank you.

12. uncertainsky

uncertainsky Elite Member

All my tanks are in my bedroom right now because its still cold. And I smoke in the bedroom, I turn the ceiling fan on and open the windows.

I agree with merlin. As long as you haven't made the room a smoke hot box and the tanks get minimal air circ anyway you should be good. Plus the newer studies proved that second hand smoke is not known to cause ill effects in non smokers

13. cassicat4

I would have to see those studies to believe it, considering secondhand smoke has been proven extensively over the years to be just as harmful to non-smokers as it is to be smoking in the first place. Whether this applies to reptiles, I don't know, but deductively, I can't see how it wouldn't affect them in one way or another. True, it may be as Merlin said - it may take a roomful of smoke to pose any threat. But the threat still remains.

14. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Well, I wasn't trying to start a debate. Lol. I understand that different people are going to have different opinions. And honestly, I can see both sides.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  15. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

What studies are you citing? Phillip Morris come out with that study perhaps?

16. uncertainsky

uncertainsky Elite Member

In the years 1998-2002 the American Council on Science and Health, the Cato Institute, and the United States Federal Court decision by Judge Osteen found that the EPA withheld the data stating second hand smoke in not harmful and replaced that data with the data found for a smoker themselves in their 1993 published study.

And in 2005 I believe the WHO's multicenter case-control study of exposure to environmental tobacco smoke found no link of second hand smoke to cancer, or any other major health issue.

I'm not starting a debate, these are just the sources that were asked for.

17. cassicat4

I couldn't find the sources you mentioned, but I did find this:

This is from the WHO in 2002:

http://www.who.int/tobacco/research/secondhand_smoke/faq/en/index.html

And this is from the WHO in 2009:

WHO | 10 facts on second-hand smoke

I'm not a fan of misleading info, whether you were aware of it or not, simply because I've had personal experience with family and friends who have suffered greatly as a result of secondhand smoke. If the effects are the same on reptiles, then that makes me even more concerned to right the misconceptions.

18. Tired

Tired Elite Member

I've smoked sisha with no health affects what so ever on my animals. But then again I don't smoke regular tobacco or marijuana or "hot box" my room. So I don't have much experience.
    I'd say better be safe than sorry when it comes to tobacco/marijuana.

19. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Well, I haven't smoked pot in years. Haha. So no worries there. I couldn't afford the mice if she got the munchies. Lol!!

20. Releep

Releep Elite Member

I just just have to say you have one heck of a good looking ATB I have a Halloween phase ATB I just love the attitude and the huge yellow eyes compared to her grey and copper body.