This Disappears When Logged In

Reptile

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Jessica90, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

we have a YBS turtle and he was in a 40 gal breeder tank we recently upgraded to a 55 gal and now we are stuck with a empty tank that no1 will by ! SOOOO my question is what are some reptiles that will do good in a 40gal breeder tank ?

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, how big in cm or inches is a 40g breeder, and do you have any particular reptiles you`d like to own?

3. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

to be honest i have no clue 36 3/16" long x 18 1/4" deep x 16 15/16" high (googled it) couldn't find it in cm :( and i had a bearded dragon when i was younger name chomper that i loved so i know about them by experience but i also had my beardie in a tank that was 4ft long and 2 ft wide and custom built lol so Im not sure how a 40 gal breeder would do and if it'd be acceptable ....

4. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

i know i dont want a snake or a gecko don't like geckos and snakes i love them but i dont wanna keep rats been there done that not a fan lol

5. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

You could house a bearded dragon... Maybe some anoles? Certainly a few frog species.

Or go for an aquatic amphibian and get an axolotl! :D

6. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

also had a iguana growing up but sadly i know how much space they require ! lol tho the one i had was awesome lol my dad built a HUGE outside inclosure for summer and he had a HUGE inside enclosure and when my dad finally gave him to a zoo he was like 5ft long and fat as mess but he was so sweet i just know i couldn't even upgrade to something of that size :( so figured maybe someoen on here could give me a couple different kinds of reptiles that i can go research or they can give me information on either or....

7. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

i dont really want aquatic as i have the aquatic turtle and want something different that i can mess with i love my turtle but u cant really hold them often i got like attacked on a diffrent forum over not taking them out much cuz it stresses them way to much or something so he just kinda hangs out hes still a baby so wanna stay away from aquatics and reptiles/amphibians that need TONS of moisture ( hubby wanted to do a foggy like habitat but ehhhh lol.....

8. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

so a bearded dragon could be fine in a 40 gal ? just wanna make sure its enough space lol

9. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

By what ive heard on here most use 40g breeders for beardies

10. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

axolotl <<< lol that thing looks awsome haha

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, but you can`t really let them out for a walk...
    I`d suggest another Bearded dragon, they certainly tolerate handing well once acclimated, and they have some interesting behaviours, even when housed alone, though you might need to upgrade as the lizard grows to a 4 x 2 x 2ft, unless you get the smaller species... (That`s settled then, Beardy is is)! ;)

12. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

lol yea that's what my old beardie was in a 4ft long 2ft wide and i can always upgrade his tank later on but i wouldnt be able to do it say in the next-8 months dont wanna stress it out wanna make sure what goes it will be comfortable and id love to save a beardie from those huge stacked high cages FULL of beardies :( welp Beardy it is ! :)

13. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

What about blue tongue skink?

14. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

barelybearthing are skinks handled well like are they ok with it my beardy i had would lay on my shoulder and rub my neck with his head so i want something that will be ok with being held and stuff !

15. purplemuffin

Blue tongue skinks are very chill lizards. :) They are often very easy to tame and are a bit like beardies in handling. Maybe not let it sit on your shoulder, but in your lap! They feel cool too. Remind me of a lizard made of..hot glue. Hahaha, I'm sorry that was weird. :D

Axolotls are awesome, but true they are fully aquatic, so it's a bit like having a fish with legs. But I'm working on stocking a 55 gallon with plants right now to have a few in the near future so they are on my mind. :D

16. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

oh wow well ill have to check them out ive actually never seen one haha..... had to google it yea chomper would lay with me on my shoulder lol i didnt mean like walk around lol just in case that could wind up not good ! thankfully im only 4"10 itd be kinda a short fall still bad but not 6 ft ! lol and yea i have a 55gal it has a turtle hes like 3 inches and some goldfish and some barbs and stuff ive tried other fish but they get eatin haha so whats in there is awesome haha :)

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Blue tongues are great little lizards, but not as active as Beardies, and they do like to hide quite lot, though in my case, they were kept outside, and had "real" substrate, not carpet etc. If you use non particulate, they have no choice but to be in view a little more! No, I`m afraid my mind`s made up, you`re getting the Bearded dragon... (Thanks)... ;)

18. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I just love my bearded dragon! Great little companion for me, by the way my daughter who is 18 is only 4'9" so you have an inch on her.

19. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

lol im so glad to have an inch on some1 ! lol im always smaller ! tell her i said HAHA MIDGET ! lol in VA shed still be in a carseat ! lol and yea i loved my beardy i think that's what im going to end up with what substrates do yall use? i used newspaper when i had chomper just cuz the tank was VERY awkward to clean and i had to almost climb in to clean both sides lol so yea suggestions ? and ur suggestions on bulbs ( i know there's a care-sheet i just like real life opinions ....) and thanks for all the responses to i dont think ive been i na forum in a LONG time with member who actually talk to new people...

20. purplemuffin

I would suggest tile..It holds heat wonderfully and looks great! Easy to clean too..pull out the soiled tile..rinse and clean..Put it back in. Done!

I hear good things about megaray uvb bulbs. Don't get coil UVB lights, get the tubes.