This Disappears When Logged In

Reptile cage furniture

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Snickers76, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snickers76

Snickers76 Member

I am trying to find a recipe for the plastic or faux-rock that is used to make furniture.

Exo-Terra uses a log of heavy faux-rock as seen here:
    Exo Terra : Products : Hide Outs
    and here:
    Exo Terra : Products : Feeding Tools

While zoo-med tends to lean towards non-porous plastics or some kind, as seen here:
    Repti-Rock

I would like to build a custom plaudarium/vivarium but I want to do it using a material that is not going to harbor bacteria and will also hold water such as a waterfall.

If anyone knows a good material to use that will have a very long life, plastic or faux-rock, can be used with a mold, will not harbor bacteria, and can be used in high and low humidity, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Great Stuff! Its awesome.

3. saldado 95

saldado 95 Guest

Yup ,closed cell foam is said to not harbour mould. Just remember that some of those products exPAND .They can be shaved down after drying but makes quite a mess.Good luck.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The material you are asking about with regard to the commercial cage decor is known as polyresin.
    I doubt that you could have access to it for home use. Since it is basically melted and injected into preformed molds.
    But the Great Stuff would be a viable alternative.

5. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

This is just an idea:
    DIY Climbing Hand Holds
    I use it when building climbing walls, you would probably have to do some tests to figure out how it holds up to water/mildew/mold.

6. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

You could make a chicken wire frame covered with screen and then put a thin layer of cement on it. If you want large rocks. you can seal them not to soak in water

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

On the rock wall idea, you can also cut sheets of styrofoam. the blue house insulation kind. Then attach them together and coat with cement and seal. I have seen some GREAT rocks built out of this.

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Just a note from my experiences.
    Great stuff does not hold mortar or concrete all that well. I've had more success with the sheet styrofoam.

9. Wildflowernw

Wildflowernw Elite Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.