This Disappears When Logged In

Reptile Basement Idea

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by IWantReptiles, Nov 29, 2014.

1. IWantReptiles

IWantReptiles Well-Known Member

Hey Guys!

I always wanted a reptile room but it has taken over my actual bedroom. I want to sleep there but its too much with the crickets chirping and Whites Tree Frog belching. Also the heat lamps are crazy hot.

My idea is to bring the reptiles into the basement and keep them there.

It is much bigger down there and it would be a nice relaxing place for me and them.

I saw some videos online about this and the reptiles look fine. Is it a good idea?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The nice thing about having a part of the house designated for reptiles, such as a room or basement, is that you can adjust the environment of the entire room to make temperature maintenance easy.

For example, keeping the basement room warm (say, 75ºF or better) means it's now easier to heat the individual cages, because for a basking spot, you only need to raise the temp about 15º from ambient room temp (where if the ambient room temp was 60º, you would have to raise it about 30º to make a good basking spot for most reptiles.) Make sense?

If your basement is excessively cold, this will be an uphill battle. If your basement is warm, or easy to heat, then it should be fairly simple. Any excess heat produced from that room will naturally trickle upwards into the rest of the house.

If you can make it a good environment, it's a good idea.

3. SebastiansExotics

SebastiansExotics Elite Member

In my basement, my 300 gallon aquarium basically has its own room. That part of the basement is so humid and hot compared to the rest of the basement. And that is just an aquarium...